I got a big new shotgun today :)

Lightsped

I picked up my new Mossberg 590A1. This is my first shotgun to actually own. I have shot various shotguns alot in the past.
Supposedly the 590A1 is like a heavier duty 590. Anyways, this gun looks and feels very sturdy. I got the Ghost Ring sites on mine as well.
I have already removed the barrel and wiped off the grime and gook from the factory. I am going to run some patches down the barrel tonight. After that is there anything I need to do, or not do before shooting the gun? What kind and brand of shells are recommended for target shooting?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

[This message has been edited by Lightsped (edited October 17, 2000).]

Good luck with your purchase. I'd put a tiny drop of oil on the action bar(s) and cycle the action until my arms got tired to work polish the parts and smooth it out. Shooting it will do the same thing, but a smooth pump will let you concentrate better on other things, like followups and watching that clay turn into smoke.

Now, buy plenty of ammo and use it up....

Congratulations on your new mossberg 590A1. it's a great SG. I too, have the 590A1,and i love it. if you check the thickness of the barrel and compare it with other 590 models, this is where the difference is. "what kind and brand of shells?" hmmm,...i think this one is better left to you,... you need to try different ones, and see what your SG would like.

have fun,...and shoot safe
jhunnetaz

Yes, make sure that it is properly oiled. Mine wasn't - silly me just fired it as is, and started wondering why it got so hard to pump.

Where exactly do I need to oil my 590A1? I have already ran a few patches through the barrel as well as wipe off the gook and grime around the pump.
This is my first shotgun so I am fairly new to the world of shotguns...
Thanks

Completely field strip the shotgun, the intructions are in your manual, clean with a solvent to remove the packing grease. The manual will recommend places to oil. But I like to oil the bolt, action bars and lube the inside of the barrel. Enjoy your new friend. I'm upgrading my 590 to the 590A1 very shortly.

Greetings,

I have a 590A1 as well. Take it apart all the way (remove the trigger group), you'll have to learn to do that anyway and you might as well do it while it's clean.

Refer to this excellent website, credit jthuang:
http://will.mylanders.com/shot/mossberg/

Remove any debris or whatever shouldn't be inside. Wipe the internals down with BreakFree and reassemble. Oil with Mobil One or your favorite oil where Icopy said. In my experience, Mobil One makes the parkerized exterior look mighty good and it stays for a long time.

Regarding the barrel, the inside is Parkerized so don't try to clean it until it is shiny, just til it's smooth.

I use Remington or Fiocchi Game Loads, #8 shot, for clay targets, Remington buckshot, and Federal slugs, regular and low recoil. As far as I can tell, everyone who posts here uses different types of shells. Experiment with different factory ammo.

Good luck and be safe,

Ledbetter

Cool website regarding the field-strip of a Mossberg. So you recommend Mobil 1 on the outside of the barrel also? As in the car oil??
Thanks

Yes. To me, it seems like it keeps the parkerizing from looking "dry" for a long time. There are lots of older threads in Handguns and the Smithy about cleaning where its use is discussed. Mobil One is synthetic, won't break down or gum up and other TFLers and I have found it to work as well as any gun oil at a much cheaper price. Buy some when you run out of whatever you're using now.

I must say that I am not the most experienced shotgunner here by a long shot, so listen well to what Dave McC and others that posted above say. After you have worked your action and shot your gun a few times, take it apart again and you will notice wear areas where the parkerizing has worn off. I always put a tiny dab of grease on these areas when I reassemble.

Regards to all,

Ledbetter

Ledbetter --
I like the advice about not cleaning the barrel until it shines. It reminded me about a poster on another board who was so intent on making his new 590's barrel shiney, he stuffed a bore brush in a variable drill and went to town. I still chuckle about it.

Back