I found Pewter!!

Beagle333

I never find pewter! But I walked into the Thrift Store today to buy a $2 sheet to cover some furniture and there it was..... a glass bottomed pewter mug.... for 49 cents. :D It wasn't a big find at all.... but it is a find.
It says "English Pewter" on the bottom of it and weights 12.7 oz with the glass still in, so I got at least 1/2 pound of good stuff for half a buck! I can't tell you how many times I've perused the local thrift stores and came up empty. Finally!! :)
mug_zpsc589f9eb.jpg

i have never found any good amounts
just a trinket here and there
i got a small picture frame the other day
7oz for $1.50
since i mostly shoot my own range scrap i dont use alot of tin
these days

Ya know I was in one yesterday just looking because I didn't even know it was there, and they had this huge, well to me anyway, candlestick that was awfully pewter looking sitting up on a shelf. I looked on the bottom and all it had were the mint marks, hallmarks, or whatever you call them. I told the wife if I had my phone with me I would be looking those listed up on CB's to see if it was what I thought it was. That thing had to weigh close to 2-3 pounds and almost 1 1/2' tall.

I also saw a couple of others that have opened up I will be cruising back to just to see what they have as well.

Just be mindful that candlesticks usually have a plaster weight in the base, or some other metal. They are not always 100% pewter. You can still come out on them if you get em cheap, but you'd be mad if you paid for a 2-3# lump of plaster. :)

1 pound, 6 oz before.......
CSbefore600.jpg

9.8 ounces after......
CSafter600.jpg

I have purchased stuff that I thought was pewter. The only part that was pewter was in the name. Rest was some kind of aluminum alloy or zinc.
I guess you get to pay for an education no matter how you got it.

Britannia metal is a lead free type of pewter. With that type or others a problem is that a specific composition is not standard .

Back