I found a Pre-Ban S&W 657 SS 4" today. Opinions please.

Will Beararms

I found a S&W 657 4" .41 magnum w/wo rear sights and orange front sight tip. Trigger and lock up is great. The asking price is $300.00. Should I do it. Is .41 Magnum ammo available?

Thanks

I have a 6" model 57 that I really like. I've found that ammo can be a bit hard to find sometimes though. This is one of my favorite guns though. Wouldn't mind picking up a 4" 57 or 58 to go along with it though.

Sounds sweet! I've always liked the .41, for some irrational reason.

Will you hate yourself if you pass it up?

Will My Friend,

Don't walk, run grab this fine S&W. I cut my teeth on a blue
4" Smith N' Wesson model 57. Wide range of bullet's are
available, if you handload. In JHP's, I always preferred the
Sierra 170 grain JHC; with W-W 630-P as the propellant,
traveling at about 1300 fps.:cool: :D :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

S&W 657 .41Magnum

I have a 15 year old 657 that still shoots like a house a fire. I can not comment on price but, will on availability.

The 40 S&W has taken the 41 Magnum's place and ssome of the bullet manufacturers say they don't have enough demand. IN THE FUTURE you might connsider spending about $100 for a LEE Terret Press Kit. It gets the loading job done.

Go for it!

I should have my butt kicked for selling mine. It is a great gun that can handle everything from "Pop" loads to "BOOM" loads.
This was made to appeal to the police market, was popular for a while. Plus.....GREAT price, grab it.
Sure wish I had mine back.

Look: I am going for a snub .357 right now so I might as well not deprive any of you guys. Here's where I saw it:

A PLUS PAWN
2115 E. FRONT
TYLER, TX
903-595-0792

Will Beararms:
I would have bought in a flash except how would I get there from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. #0 years ago I served active duty at Fort Sam Houston Texas. I spent two years in San Antonio and loved it . In fact daughter # 2/4 was born there.
Herb

Here's a picture of my custom Model 57 in 4":

41mag.jpg

When I had my choice of N-frames to use as a custom platform, I picked the .41 Magnum Model 57. It started life as a 6" gun, was rebarreled, quad magnaported, roundbutted, and DAO converted. The hammer was bobbed, and the action tuned.

.41 Magnum is an exceptional caliber...it throws larger and heavier bullets than the .357, and it doesn't have the recoil of full-power .44 Magnum loads. Ammo is widely available...that picture shows one speedloader full of Winchester Silvertips, and one of 265gr. CorBon hardcast SWC hunting loads. 1050 fpe at the muzzle is definitely up there in hot .44 Magnum territory.

Get the 657 if it's still there...they are great big-bore wheelguns in a very versatile caliber, and any *&* N-frame in stainless with a 4" barrel commands a slight premium.

Will--You wrote no rear sight.

Asd if it had at one time had a 'scope sight mounted? Any indication of use with extreme loads?

Tyler's not THAT far from here - - -
;)
Johnny

Kevinch--Thanks for polinting that out - - -

---sincerely.
:o

I guess all that was needed was to focus my eyes and READ what Will wrote. Sorry--My error.:o
Johnny

Back