I flopped a down payment!

DOCSpanky

This may or may not be the dumbest thing I have ever done. I went to a local gunshop today and dropped a down payment on a Remington model 700BDL in .338 ULTRA MAG!
The price seemed right, a little over $550, MSRP is $660. I know I'll probably never shoot anything that could justify this kind of cartridge, but the ballistics, and power are the most inspiring thing I have ever laid eyes on! Over 2 tons of energy at the muzzle! Kinda like buying a .458 for squirrel hunting, but I was just too tempted. If anyone has any opinions on this round, and or gun, please let me know, I can withdraw my down payment later if I change my mind. I posted a query in the handloading section to see if anyone had worked up loads for it yet. It will also be a sort of cost efficiency thing to justify updating my reloading gear!

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

Both the rifle and the cartridge are fine for the purpose intended. But for most of us, it would be sort of like buying an 18-wheeler to go grocery shopping. It's sure impressive, but where does one use it if not hunting large and/or dangerous game.

P.S. You will get dirty looks at the rifle range when you touch one off!

Jim

What's wrong with buy big, bad, and useless? If you're happy just shooting it, go for it. I've got .50AE and .454Casull (and .475Line i the future). I know I will never (as long as I stay out of their way) shoot a bear or a deer with them (just varmint hunting for me) but they are sure fun to shoot.

------------------
- Ron V.

Having a rifle that is much bigger than anything you'll need it for is just plain fun. And I have yet to be leered at by anyone at the range. Maybe I need a bigger rifle... :D

Hueco

Are you sure we're not separated at birth DocSpanky? I also buy guns I absolutely do not need (a Colt 1861 Rifled Musket will be on its way soon).

If you will read my other post, AFTER FURTHER CONSIDERATION, I have opted for a more traditional .308 Browning with the BOSS system. This .338 ULTRA MAGNUM rifle, though I'm sure it would take a house off its foundation, also does serious damage to my shoulder. 5'4" and 166 lbs, does not stand up well under these super magnum offerings. I often have a friend pattern my turkey gun for me because after 3-4 of those supreme turkey loads, I can take no more. I do agree however that there needs to be NO justification for a new gun.

...now how do I tell my wife I spent $550 dollars without telling her? :rolleyes:..........

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

Back