I finally tagged out!

stagpanther

Many of you probably already know I'm not an especially good hunter--possibly the world's worst. However today my luck finally changed for the better after years of preparation finally paid off.

I spotted this fence post not far from my house several years ago while searching the woods for my compass which I dropped someplace. It was a beauty, and I decided to scout for it in the off-season and pattern it's behavior. I eventually discovered that fence posts are creatures of habit--remarkably I found this one in almost exactly the same spot year after year. Recently my state lifted it's ban on crossbow hunting during archery season--so I felt even though I was rusty I might stand a good chance of putting this bruiser down.

I got up early this morning so I could be out in the woods early--it's spring clean up time and many people are burning blow-down and leaves left over from the winter, I didn't want my chances spoiled. It seemed like forever to crawl my downwind approach to the area where I last saw this fence post--but luck was with me--there he was in almost the same spot.

I very slowly raised my bow and the fence post didn't show any signs of knowing anything else was there, even when I accidentally sneezed and farted at the same time.

But just as I was about to pull the trigger a red squirrel sounded the alarm and the fence post took off on a dead run. I knew it was a risky shot, quartering from the rear, but after calculating the hold-over and lead I let the bolt fly. I struck him just above his rear leg and he went down after maybe another 100 yds or so--he left a good sap trail that was easy to follow.

He measures 4 x 4 and weighs about 20 lbs. I still haven't made up my mind how to process or cook him.

attachment.php

PS: BTW--I have no idea how to get that bolt out.

Attachments

• IMG_2997.jpg
    IMG_2997.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 262
Once again my luck held out--I was able to retrieve the bolt after preparing to gut him.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 242
I read the title, and was imagining you, face down, with your g/f on your back with you face pressed to the floor and your arm twisted behind your back.
All the whilst, your frantically smacking the floor. :eek::eek::eek:

Well, after the autopsy, how was the terminal ballistics of your bolt? :D

Well, after the autopsy, how was the terminal ballistics of your bolt?
The lightweight carbons don't shoot nearly as well as the heavier aluminum shaft ones--but my crossbow is about the equivalent of a Hawkins blackpowder rifle compared to today's modern crossbows that look like Klingon warbirds.

That has to be one of the finest fence post I have ever seen taken. Would you score that Pope and Young? Anyways congrats.

fence post facts

Congrats on a fine trophy. Your post is a male, typically called a "one point" or a single horned spike.

Funny post.....well done.

Good shooting . . . .

Good shooting. Reminds me a lot of my own. Are the permits for those things hard to acquire?

Life is good.
Prof Young

Back