I finally ordered my #1H .458!!!!!!!!

Hueco

I ordered my Ruger tonight!!! Hopefully it will NOT be on backorder, and I will have it in hand in 7 to 10 days. Long week ahead of me guys!

Let me double check my current understanding and knowledge of how to mount and shoot this rifle. First, get a good grip. Then bring it up smoothly to my shoulder, and lay it into the pocket. Let the forearm rest in my left hand, and grip it firmly. Set the buttstock firmly into my shoulder, but not so much as to bury it. Get a strong cheek weld to the stock, and keep my head/cheek to the middle of the buttstock. My legs should be about a shoulder's width apart, at a 45 degree angle to the target, front knee bent slightly and leaning into the shot. Then, let the recoil shove me back in one fluid motion keeping my head to the stock and making sure to have my head move with my body.

Am I missing anything??

Hueco

Re " a strong cheek weld to the stock",
I once knocked a cap off a right lower tooth (dental crown)with a strong cheek weld.
If I had to do it again, I'd shoot a few rounds from a bench rest, held loosely, with a sandbag or shotbag between the shoulder and buttstock. this will give you a little taste of what you're up against.
Recoil from my 458 never felt all that fluid to me, but I weigh in at 250lbs. so offer more resistance than most.
Good luck and enjoy that #1, they're great guns ands very satisfying to shoot.

These bags of sand I am always hearing about, what are the dimensions? I'll have to either find one to buy, or even better -- make my own.

TABING, not *that* strong of a cheek weld! :eek: Ouch, sorry to hear about that! What were you shooting when that happened? Haha, no, I wasn't referring to the recoil of the rifle being fluid, only how I respond to it. :)

Hueco

Hueco. Take an old pair of jeans and cut off one of the legs. Cut off the other end so the cut off leg is about 8 inches. Sew up one end and put sand or bird hot into the pocket made by sewing one end. Just enough sand, or shot that when you sew up the other end it will be from 1.5 to 2 inches thick. Final length will be about 6 inches. Place "sissy bag" between the butt of the rifle and your shoulder. Reduces felt recoil dramatically. I used shot in mine, but sand works just as well. I only use it for very long bench sessions with some of the larger magnums. If I ever find a #1 in .458, I will probably use it a lot more. :)
Paul B.

I'll get right on sewing that! Thanks very much. Hmm, "bird hot"...is that what ya use for those frosty shooting sessions?? ;) I'll probably end up filling it with some 9 shot -- nice and heavy. Thanks again!

Hueco

TABING, as I read what you shot...a large black cloud descended on my house. :) I am goin gto take your suggestion and use a sissy bad from the bench. We'll see how it goes! Luckily, I do have dental insurance!! :D

Hueco

Hueco, Stand up and take it. Do not under any circumstances take your first shot from the bench!!!!!!!!!! Set up for your natural point of aim with a firm grip and let her go several times. This would be a great case of cleaning between rounds for barrel break in.
LEARN THE GUN-IT WILL BECOME YOUR FRIEND Free standing recoil vs bench ??? and watch out for any scope you may have installed! I weigh in at 150 lbs soaking wet and this is the tack I try to take.
You guy's might know Hueco and want to spooof him but I don't want to know him as Old One Eye!

I will be standing, with a cheater-bag draped over my shoulder. I am not mounting a scope, so no worries there. Any other monumentously helpful suggestions Hank? I'll take every one I can get!! :)

Hueco

Hueco

You have my recoil directions correct except for the "weld head to stock"...it to is a caress...

I am going to be on the road in south and centeral Texas for the next ten days. Let me know how it goes.

Shoot those first shots standing at 25-50 yards. All my #1 sights have been on from the factory. (not that I kept the sights)

Huntschool
"single shot shooters only shoot once"

By all means shoot it as you like,and don't let me be a black cloud. I merely said what I would do and still do with any new heavy caliber rifle. I like to get some idea of how it feels.
In any case, in the field, you hardly even notice recoil. With a 458 you're probably shooting something big and dangerous, if you hit it, you're too excited to notice. If you miss, well then it's either eating you or trampling you, so recoil becomes a moot point.
By holding 2 extra rounds between the 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd fingers, you can get off a couple of fast follow up shots. With practice, its as fast or faster than working a bolt action.

I hope you reload can be preaty expensive ;)

[This message has been edited by house (edited March 23, 2000).]

huntschool, thanks for all the instruction you have given me! I really appreciate it, thank you!! Caress it, eh? Right...I'll do that -- no more welding, I promise!! (See, this is why I thought it prudent to double-check!!)

TABING, no worries, I was only kidding about that whole "black cloud." :) It's nice to be reminded that I do need to take the gun seriously. Thank you. (I mean that!) :) Also, thank you for the info on speed loading -- that is one thing I am determined to get very proficient at.

house, reload? Reload? Haha, you think I have money left?! :) Seriously, I will but facotry stuff to get brass, then one day down the road I will probably end up reloading. Yes, it is expensive per box, but it is not like I am goin got shoot 5 boxes per shooting session. :) Heck, it is doubtful I will make it through *1* for the first few times!! :D

Mr. Eatman, uhh...'dillo gun? :confused: I will laugh anyway because I am sure that if I had caught the joke -- I would have laughed. :)

Back