i final got the guide gun now which scope?

cartman308

i took me three months but i finally found a guid gun. i officially get it tommorow (x-mas present). i have decided that this will be my brush gun (duh) and i want a scope that gets on target super fast. i have determined that the fastest would be a red dot scope. know the question:
which one should i get?
i have only looked through a tasco propoint, but i have heard that they are fragile. i don't particularly care for tasco in the first place, i have had more than one bad scope from them. i know that aimpoints get high marks and it is the brand i am leanin toward. are there any others i should consider? i read an article on the leupold/gilmore lg-1 that gave it good reviews but was told that i should stay away from them.....
are there any other scopes that i should consider? i hate using open sites...
thanx for your thoughts
cart

------------------
.308 WIN: The ONLY cartridge you will EVER need!

Consider the new 1-4x Trijicon.

I examined the 3-9x and liked the way the post got my attention fast... The triangle doesn't really subtend too much of the target- it's designed for offhand use anyway not tackdriving. Personally, I was hoping for a 1.5-6x42mm but...

The guide gun is great for close encounters and I think this low powered scope is just the ticket.

I bought a Redfield 1,3/4 to 5 for my Ruger 96/.22 that I hunt small game with. Getting on a running rabbit in front of my dog is no problem at all when it is on it's low setting. Placing the shot has been my challenge. Yes, I have killed a few. For squirrel I turn up the power and make head shots. Roses to Redfield.

You don't need a scope for a guide gun. Your effective range is maybe 150 yards - a scope is useless on such a rifle! Get a apperture sight and be happy.

If you insist on putting a scope on it anyway, check out the "Co-Pilot" at www.wildwestguns.com they've got the only acceptable scope and mount for the rifle.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

I'd have to second Keith's opinion above; the Guide Gun is a close in proposition that doesn't really require a scope. The short barrel and straight stock make for an excellent ergonomic package, snapping quickly to shoulder and very fast on target with iron sights. I'm just starting to work up handloads for my Guide Gun and have gotten some 1" three shot groups at 50 yards using iron sights. My advise would be to see what your new rifle will do with the iron sights before making a decision. You might be pleasantly surprised at the results and not have to clutter up the elegant lines of the Marlin.

the best sight I have found for the Guide Gun is the Ghost ring sight manufactured by Ashley Outdoors. Check out their web site at www.ashleyoutdoors.com . It's a great sight with fast target acquisition and a superior sight picture, as it doesn't cut the target in half as do all buckhorn sights.
It also uses a really good front post that has a white line centered in the middle of the long black front post. Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com

I concur with Randy. A ghost ring aperture sight would be my choice for a fast handling brush gun. Nothing to go wrong either!

I'll second (third?) Randy and Gary's choice. The guide gun is made for quick work in bad circumstances...when things with claws and teeth choose to "return your attentions". Why slow it down with optics? The fastest steel sights available were designed by Ashley. I think you could do far worse.
Rich

OMG
this gun is awsome.....the gods musta been looking out for me this mornin when i went to wal-mat. i bought a set of weaver rings and bases and the package was missin a peice. i didn't wanna waste any more time gonin back to exchange the stuff so i took the gun to the range with just the semi-buckhorn site. i am shooked!!!!!!! i could hit something, off hand, at 75 yard every time with this monster, and the recoil was tame compared to what i have been lead to beleive. i din't hafta move the irons. it was dead on from the factory!!!! i went to the range intending to group shoot but the first thing i did was shoot a reactive target (gallon jug of water)......it was all over then.....i didn't accomplish any kinda group tests the rest of the afternoon....i shoot a couple two liter bottles, and destroyed a padlock after about four direct hits.......this is all off hand with the semi-usless, semi-buckhorn iron sites!!!!!!!! i am amazed!!!!! needless to say i will not put a scope on this gun until my eyes make me....i just requested a catolog from ashley outdoors,
thanx for all your thoughts and opinions!!!!
cart
man i can't beleive this gun!!!!

------------------
.308 WIN: The ONLY cartridge you will EVER need!
.45/70 is neat too!!

Sounds like love!

I've got one also and am very pleased with it. Even the trigger is pretty good for a factory rifle.
Factory ammo is pretty mild, but when you reload or try some of the heavy stuff from specialty ammo makers the recoil increases quite a bit. Its still not bad though, the porting works well.
The only complaint I have is that I wish the forestock was skinnier. I may have a woodworking friend carve it down or put channels in the side to facilitate a better grip up there.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Back