I don't understand short rifles

Rifleman1776

Could someone explain why a rifle-handgun is OK and a rifle converted to one hand use is illegal?
Or why putting a short barrel and handgun grips on a TC convertible frame is illegal when they sell a (identical?) handgun version?
Color me confused. :confused:

Because they (the ATF) said so.

It goes back to 1934. The National Firearms Act was passed to make the illegal behaviors of bank robing gangs more illegal by outlawing their guns of choice. Short rifles and shotguns being among those.

In the end it isn't going to make sense. That is the best way I can explain it.

let me first state that I am not a lawyer, however it is only Illegal with a TC if you have the butt stock attached with a barrel shorter than 16".
However it still makes no sense.

Because as originally proposed, the law was comprehensive to all short firearms.
Handguns were originally to be regulated as Title II weapons, but were exempted at some point in the process.

So as originally proposed, the NFA "made sense" so far as its goal of requiring registration of all concealable firearms.

Poodleshooter said:
Because as originally proposed, the law was comprehensive to all short firearms.
Handguns were originally to be regulated as Title II weapons, but were exempted at some point in the process.

So as originally proposed, the NFA "made sense" so far as its goal of requiring registration of all concealable firearms.

Interestingly enough, silencers were originally left out of the NFA. The concern was that they were used for poaching during the great depression, so silencers were a last minute addition to the NFA Registry, and the handguns were leveraged out.

And the only reason they made poaching enough of an issue to include silencers in the NFA was because the government wanted full control of the food supply to enforce its price and supply controls.

Back