I don't know whether to laugh or cry

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
...cry "HYPOCRITE!" that is.

http://www.washtimes.com/news/news2.html

Clinton decries 'scarred' century
By Bill Sammon
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

President Clinton yesterday declared the 20th century "deeply scarred" by greed, hatred and lust for power

(timeout while we fall out of our chairs laughing and puking)

and warned that the promise of the next millennium could be destroyed by ethnic warfare, global warming and weapons of mass destruction.

In his annual address to the United Nations General Assembly, Mr. Clinton guardedly endorsed U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan's call for continued intervention in regional conflicts -- even when that means crossing international borders uninvited.

(Say, wasn't that Hitler's philosophistry?)
The president said mankind had learned much in the 20th century, including the effects of humans on the environment, the merits of free trade and the virtues of democratic soceties.

(Yep, democracy is great... as long as you're one of the wolves.)
------------------
"America needs additional gun laws like a giraffe needs snow tires."
--Rabbi Mermelstein, JPFO

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited September 22, 1999).]

Powerful countries have always been imperialistic. The excuses may change, the labels may change, but they alway have and always will send troops into unwilling countries to take control. Somolia, Kosovo, East Timor, etc. etc. are modern examples of the same process.

I concur. We began to carry our big stick in the early part of this century, and though our actual boundaries are not the largest of any empire, I would argue that we are as influential in world affairs as any empire. And we strut our arrogance with every bomb dropped and soldier deployed. that's my .02.

on the flip side, it's hard to sit around and watch people kill each other when you conceivably can reduce the violence...another 2 cents.

Well, here's another .02, othermarc:

We can't pretend to know what's best for everyone. We had our own revolution, and a civil war, and there was no major intervention by a country that had our "best interests" in mind. We disarm people around the world, set up puppet dictators that align themselves with the US (usually temporarily) then crack down on thier own civilian population (Saddam, Shah of Iran, Noriega, several African dictators, the Marcos' of the Phillipenes, etc, etc, etc).

Then we wonder why were so hated.

Maybe not a country that had our best interests at heart, but what do you call France? :)

As for Clinton, what can I say? The man is an expert on that of which he speaks. . . .

France didn't come here and post peacekeepers and tell us to lay down our arms. We assume too much in this country, like Democracy is good for everybody and people like the Kosovars and Serbs should have to live together. That hate is 400 years old, it ain't dyin' any time soon, no matter how much Clinton "feels thier pain." We can't do much except make it worse.

Ever get in between two brothers in a fight? Or between a husband and wife fighting? Nothing good will come of it.

Back