I don't get 2" k-frames

Samuel

Inactive
I totally understand k-frames with 3" barrels such as the s&w model 13 which was the fbi issue during the 70's and 80's. You get a full length ejector rod, great balance, ccw capability and only a slight loss in terms of velocity as compared with the 4 inch barrel. The 2" s&w model 10/64 however baffles me. If you are going to put up with the 2" ballistic performance you might as well go with the J-frames/taurus mod 85 size revolvers and save youself a lot of weight. Anyone feel differently? Thanks.

I agree with your analysis. I have one - got it at a barn burner price.

Shoots good and has six shots. Fits in the back pocket well. Decent trainer for new folks. ~ shrug ~

I do like the 3 inchers better.

Giz

Well, there's a certain historical aspect to it...

Prior to the advent of the .38 Spl. J-frame in the 1950s, the K-frame 2" was the smallest S&W 2" that you could get.

If you went down to the I-frame, you had to go with .38 S&W, a less powerful cartridge.

These day's there a lot less of a reason for a 2" .38 Spl. K-frame that there was.

I personally love the heck out of my 2.5" Model 19, though, but that's a .357 mag.

With the K-frames, you get some extra benefits:
1)More hand-filling grip for better control
2)Ditto the much better trigger action
3)Bigger sights easier to see
4)More weight to dampen recoil
5)How 'bout an extra shot?
The M10 is one thing, but if you've never handled an alloy-frame M12, you should try to find one. Sweeeeeeeeeet.:)

The 2" round butt M&P was a very popular revolver with detectives in the 1920-1950 era. It appealed mostly to those who, for one reason or another, did not like the Colt Detective Special, but wanted a concealable, 6-shot, .38 Special caliber revolver.

The Chiefs Special was developed primarily for high ranking police officers who rarely (if ever) used a gun but carried one as a badge of office and wanted something smaller and lighter than the K-frame M&P but using the (then) standard .38 Special.

Jim

Not much point in a 2" K frame. Aside from the 2" M&P, many old time shooter took a 4", cut it off in front of the extractor lug, remounted the front sight and went on their way.
The points made about the practicality of the K over the J are valid. What is just as valid is that a two inch K is no easier to hide than a three.

Samuel, your thesis is correct.

I prefer the 3"
I think the reason back then was pretty simple. Patrolman got promoted to Det. and got the short version of what they had on the street--same grip in most cases. Again, most were not gun people--just cops. Most never used or cleaned the gun after making Det.

You can't beat their classic look!
Got one and I love it! My most fav revolver.
Much easier to shoot than a J frame.

i think you get the idea, K-frame was the smallest snubby you could get in .38spl, at that time the police standard, if you didn't want to go with a colt. the 3" barrels are a fairly recent development on the k-frame...standard was the 2", 4", 5" and 6" in the model 10

the 2" k-frame snubby came into it's own in PPC/NRA snubnose competition before they allowed in the 2.5" barrels (m19, python and dan wesson m15)

Back