I can't believe I'm considering this...

tahunua001

price check on a 1891/41 carcano?
the wood is unusually good condition though it still has some dings and dents. the metal is about 80% finish. the stock, barrel, and floorplate serials all match. the handle has been bent down. was this ever done factory or did bubba get it?

am I missing any serial number locations?
any problems with these rifles I should know about?(other than being a carcano).

is $190 a good deal on one of these or should I let it go?

I need another 6.5 surplus rifle like I need the flu but I figure for the same price as mosin nagants are going in my area it may be a decent addition.

I have made more than my share of posts on Carcanos. I have examined many and shot many. I can't recall seeing a long barrel 1891 with a bent bolt handle. Carbines a different story as you probably know.
Having said that, there are so many variations of Carcanos out there you could fill a closet easily. I am no expert.

Most Carcanos sell for just under $200. Someone once posted the number imported stateside on this forum and it was astounding.
IMHO if the Carcano has a good bore, $190 is a not bad deal.

You more than likely are aware of the unique bore dimensions of the Carcanos and how temperamental they can be if not fed certain diameter bullets.

yes I know about the goofball diameter. the bore, looks like a nice, new, freshly installed...sewerpipe. barely any lands left and the crown is nice and squared off. looks like I should probably try to talk it down.

I have a 41, but I have never seen as many of those as I have seen of the other models. For a 190 bucks, Id say get it.

If the bore is as you described, I would pass unless you want a wall hangar or parts gun. Checked GunBroker for the heck of it and there must be around 30 Carcanos listed. I am trying to think if I have ever seen one with a serial number on the bolt. Has anyone?

WOW: Someone has an "Oswald" Carcano for sale on GB for $1975

I consider myself different than many collectors, If I can't shoot it, I don't want it.

I don't know, there are still lands there, which makes it better than some milsurps I've looked at but I also like to shoot my milsurps. I'm selling a MAS36 this weekend because it doesn't shoot so well. but this gun is very rare around these parts. I've never seen a carcano long rifle in person and I've never seen one that didn't have a stock that looked like driftwood so it's kindof hard to pass up, almost like if a I were to walk into my LGS one day and see a G43; I don't need it but I don't know if I'll ever see another one.

I don't need it but I don't know if I'll ever see another one.

You may not; The 1941s are definitely NOT as common as some of the others (with the possible exception of an original 1891).

Regarding the bolt: Straight bolts come up from time to time on eBay and they're usually not that expensive.

Also, give the bore a thorough cleaning before you condemn it completely; It may surprise you.:)

Be careful ... I'm warning you that they are addictive!:D

Bent bolt is either a bubba or a switch. I've not yet seen them on anything except TSs and Moschettos and Model 38 Short rifles.

I see many more nice 41s than 91s on GB. You won't get them for $190 though ... $300??? (I have to be honest that since I'm not actively looking ... I have a tendency to not remember prices all that well).

I'd probably pass on the one you posted about if only because the bolt's wrong and for another $190 you could end up with a 41 that looks like it was hardly used, if even issued.

I don't think there is any danger of becoming addicted to them. there are no good examples of the short rifles in my region and as I said, this is the first long rifle I've seen. I don't believe in getting more than one of the same model and I have little tolerance for a gun I have to reload for due to oddball/obsolete cartridges so this would likely be a one and only addition to the collection.

I'm already addicted to jap guns, italians really have little room to edge in. :D

I would keep watching the auction sites.
Last gun show I went to I saw at least 6 Carcanos, 2 of which were long rifles. Both had good wood. All the rest were carbines. I think the highest priced one has a sticker of $225.
Left the show with a Persian 98/29 in unbelievable condition. I paid $500

Usually at the gun shows here the only milsurps you see are enfields springfields and mosins... nobody bothers with the others usually

Back