I can't believe I bought a Wilson Combat!

Harley Man

Inactive
And I couldn't be happier! After a month+ debate over steel vs aluminum, and Kimber vs Springfield, I went to a local gun shop that had a decent selection of Kimber CDPs and SA. I was sold on the CDP and wanted to handle a Custom CDP. The CDP models are absolutely beautiful and appear well made. The triggers were light, had a little creep but were very nice. The Springfield loaded stainless appeared well made, but boxy with some sharp edges. The trigger was crisp but not as light as the Kimber. The frame/slide fit was decent on both guns, but the Kimber just felt right in my hand. Just for the sake of comparison I asked to see the Wilson Millenium Protector(my first mistake). It's the bottom of the line (steel), but just racking the slide I knew it was in another class. It is absolutely smooth as silk! You can feel the precision in the slide/frame fit. The trigger is light and very crisp. The fit and finish is outstanding and it handled very well. At that point, the Kimber and Springfield were not at the top of my list. I walked out of the shop with the Wilson and can't wait to shoot it. BTW... I am not knocking Kimber or Springfield, both are fine guns. Just relating my experience and satisfaction that this decision process is over!

Big Mistake!

Now that you have that Wilson, there's no going back to production 1911's! lol

Whenever I head back to the Trop, you have to bring it in so I can drool too! Next, you'll need a nice set of wood grips and the Millennium Protector will be a piece of art.

How do you like the trigger on the Wilson ;)

Congratulations! I think you will find that it shoots great, has a fine trigger pull, and that the gun is well put together. After break-in, the gun should perform as advertised, especially if you follow Wilson's suggestions for ammo, cleaning, etc.

And no doubt about what you said on the silkiness of the slide! Isn't that something?

Now that you own one, don't be surprised when the finish starts wearing off if you holster your gun and regularly practice with it. Contact me off list and I will let you know specifics.

Congratulations -- I keep looking at Wilson's catalog and various sites, knowing that sooner or later I'll join you "top of the line" 1911A1 guys. However, for now my Kimber and Springfield keep on performing. With envy -- Roy :) :)

Thanks for the positive feedback about my choice. I took the gun to the range yesterday and shot about 50 rounds and the gun performed flawlessly. I checked how well regulated the sights are from a rest and it is right on, just like the test target. I certainly have my work cut out for me to match the guns accuracy. I have to adjust to the new feel since it is quite different from my Sig P220. I must admit the front strap serrations really cut into your hands. Any thoughts on a remedy, other than to build calloused hands?

Harley Man

...And the trigger will only get better!
You will get used to the serrations, the checkering on my Classic seemed pretty abrasive too after 2-300 rounds but now its feels just right. ArmySon is right, semi custom and custom 1911s are very addictive. Since Christmas I have bought a Wilson, Baer, Gunsite GSP and I just put myself on a gunsmith's list to make my first true custom.

Enjot that Wilson! Put some nice wood grips on and join us at http://www.1911forums.com

Back