I Can Never Decide Which Gun...

kilotanker22

Any of you ever have trouble deciding which firearm you want to use for any given time? I do constantly. For example, which gun to carry hunting tomorrow? Do I take my trusted Browning 6.5 Creedmoor rifle that has already taken several deer, or my new Bergara hunter in 308? Perhaps my 300 PRC, or a 30-30 that belongs to a friend of mine. I guess there are worse problems to have. Just figured I would share so you all can have a giggle at my expense.

Simple take the one you know is sighted in and run with it.

If you don't have the friends gun in your possession and were the last to shoot it that's the last choice.

Maybe pick names out of a hat.

Haha, that's the trouble. All are sighted in for max point blank range, except the 30-30. I am not actually considering that gun. I threw it in for a little sarcasm. All have ammunition that is good to go as well. Leaning toward the 308, just because it is ready, and it has not yet drawn blood.

I am a creature of habit though. Once I get good with something, I have trouble choosing something out.

cursed

A man should always be so cursed.........."what rifle do I hunt with this season?"

I tend to choose rifles for the season along certain themes. This year I'm a bit nostalgic and I've checked the zero on my Dad's Savage 110/.243 and intend to hunt it, I've not had it out in two or three seasons. But I will not hunt with that treasure from climbing stands, as it has fairly nice walnut, so I've zeroed a poly stock rifle as well.

Another season I hunted semi/tac rifles,,,, a Garand, PSL, and AK. The M1 seemed to weigh a ton. Yet again, I hunted mannlicher pattern, full length stocked rifles, a Mark X '06 and a vintage .243Mossberg 800M. I really like that little Mossberg.

Consider myself dang fortunate to have such a stable and the health, time and locations to hunT.

Sarcastic about using a 30-30?
Darn whipper snappers!!!
30-30 has taken more game than all your other cartridges, combined!
Still muttering words that ought not be put in writing...:D

My choices were.
Stevens 200 in 250 Savage.
Ruger 77 MKII in 257 Roberts.
Savage 111 in 257 Roberts AI
Custom Mauser in 284 Win.
Ruger 77 MKII in 280 Rem
Savage 111 in 7mmRem Mag
Mauser in 30-06. We'll say on loan to me.

I took my Coyote rifle out for deer on opening day. Stevens 200 in 250 Savage. Ranges were to be under 100 yards.
Shot a buck, but bullet hit branch between me & it. Made the bullet tumble.
We searched for 90 minutes & couldn't find it.
Friends mom found the buck the next morning right by her stand. Hit high & back. Friend said the bullet hole was oblong. She tagged it and the meat used.

Shot a doe also. She staggered around in circles for about 30 seconds before falling.
I had reloaded during that time, but didn't have a decent shot.

So the 250 is going back to service as my coyote gun.

I still have 2 tags to fill. Where i'm off to next has longer ranges. So i'm taking my newest rifle. Savage 111 in 257 Roberts AI.

Last edited:
Whitetails and the 30-30 cartridge; pretty much "guns and game" synonymous.
Proven many, many times over. I can attest. You've got a good problem, the best kind to have...:D

Good hunting k22, for that wary, wily, whitetail!

Flip a coin, that’s what I do some times.

Most times, I pick the one that has been the longest since I’ve filled a tag with it.

Just grab one and it will be the wrong one for the shot at the given time. :) Or better yet hire a couple of gun Caddys and taken them all.

Last edited:
My sarcasm for the 30-30 was aimed at the availability of ammunition local to me. No dies either, and I don't own one so I do not already have the stuff to load 30-30.

I have numerous choices for hunting any given thing, but I usually settle for the same thing because of habit or nostalgia. Deer? Mauser 98 7X57. Coyotes? Sako Finnbear 22-250. Rabbits? Ruger 77/22. Birds? Browning A-5.

But since I own about 50 rifles, if I want to mix it up I can get really creative. Pre-64 Model 70 in 375 H&H for varmints anyone? Winchester 1894 in 30 WCF for deer? Savage 1899 in 25-35? People usually pick what they are familiar and comfortable with.

In reality they all pretty much do the same thing. I have one go-to rifle that I use when I'm really serious. But I have 2-3 others that I take occasionally just because I feel like it on that day.

30-30 has taken more game than all your other cartridges, combined!

I've seen and heard that my whole life. But I have my doubts that it has taken more game than any other cartridge. Let alone combined.

Not disparaging the cartridge, it kills stuff and does it at least as well as it did 125 years ago. But it was actually a step backwards in the evolution of rifle cartridges.

I too like having that problem, I have 4 deer rifles and most of the time its weight more than anything else, my goto walking rifle, model 7 in 7-08, Stand rifle browning xbolt eclipse in 7-08 and I have yet to draw blood with it because I wont haul it up into a tree stand with a rope, Kimber superamerica in 7-08, 4th on the list and mostly its a loaner rifle is my m77 stainless in 243, all of which I load for and they all have pet loads and are always sighted in but of course for 2 weeks before the season they all get checked out on the bench and off hand..Didnt do me much good this season, only deer I had a shot at was running full bore at about 75 yds and I missed totally..(model 7)

I think one of, (ok, a major) reason for me being reluctant to replace my 7mm-08, is how much i liked it.
It was always my first pick when i set off into the woods.
With my other rifles, and cartridges that i'd like to shoot, they may be relegated to the gun cabinet were i to get another 7mm-08.

Still hoping for a western hunt.
I put money down & am on the waiting list for the new Weatherby Mark V Hunter in 280AI.

I’ve gotten to that stage where I’ve almost thinned my collection to only my favorites.

For deer, it would be my Grandfather’s 30-06 Remington, a shotgun or a pistol.
For birds, it’s the modern semi-auto (really fits me well) or the Ithaca model 37, also firs me well but after 3 hours of walking, it really earns its name “featherweight.”
For squirrels… fancy Unscratched CZ or good enough pretty nice 10/22
For walking around pistol… throw the brass in the woods semi-auto or put the brass in my pocket revolver.

After trying many many firearms and enjoying the exploration, I’d like to simplify what my wife has to deal with if I kick the bucket.

Easy for me, the .270 for deer, .243 for varmints or what ever. Where I can't make a decision is which handguns or .22 rifles to take to the range.

Back