I bought a S&W 640 tonight. Any J frame fans here?

45automan

Hey guys I bought a S&W 640 tonight. It is .38SPCL,stainless steel. I payed $260 out the door for it. It is like new. Great trigger. It has a concealed hammer. I bought a box of Speer Gold Dot 125gr +P ammo for it. Is this a good round for this gun? Did I do good guys?
Thanks,45automan

I have a SS .38 spl J frame and like it just fine. I keep Remington Golden Saber 125 gr +P in mine. I know others will differ, but can say that mine is as small and light as I personally care to fire +P 125's in. These titanium and niobium and who knows what else super lites are just not for me.

On price and did you do good, the only real question is, do YOU feel like it was a good deal? If yes, then it was. If no, then stop sooner next time.

I have a SS .38 spl J frame and like it just fine. I keep Remington Golden Saber 125 gr +P in mine. The Speer Gold Dots are probably quite similar, so IMHO, yup good round. I know others will differ, but can say that mine is as small and light as I personally care to fire +P 125's in. These titanium and niobium and who knows what else super lites are just not for me.

On did you do good, the only real question is, do YOU feel like it was a good deal? If yes, then it was. If no, then stop sooner next time.

I've got an S&W Model 649 (I think). Anyway, it's the .357 mag version of the stainless steel Bodyguard. I like being able to shoot either single or double action. I'm still much more accurate shooting single action, though I'm trying to improve my double action shooting! ;)

M640 .357Magnum

I have an older model 640 in .357 magnum and like it a lot. I use 158gr+P LSWCHP and find that to be a good round. These are good small revolvers, despite the problems S&W is having.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

Count me in!

View

Mikey

Everybody should have a snubbie...

In a close-range "reactive shooting", these things just rock. They're simple, potent, and can be very rapidly accessed from the right leather (or Kydex).

I like mine with a hammer, and I think .38+P is hot enough without going to .357.

And old Smith stainless .38 variant is a fine example of the general breed.

Jim

How can I NOT reply to this reply? :)

I have the S&W 640 (.38 only) and 638--like them both a LOT. The manual of arms just doesn't get any simpler than that for the 640.

I keep the 640 loaded with Magsafes and/or Golden Saber 125gr +P's.

I paid a lot more for mine, NIB, when I bought it maybe 7-8 years ago, then also paid for a trigger job. So as far as I'm concerned, you done GREAT on the price...

I thought everyone here knew I am a Huge S&W Fan and am especially fond of J-frames.

My Always Gun is an S&W M-640 in .357 Magnum. I'm more likely to leave the house with no pants than to leave my M-640 behind.

IMNSHO, the M-640 is the Perfect, Powerful, Packing Pistol for Discrete Carry.

Doc Hudson

P.S. Ya done good. Real good! When I bought my .357 Mag M-640 about three and a half years ago, I paid over $400.00 (nib)for it. LMH

I've got an 042 Centennial and two 36 Chief Specials.

J-frames are WONDERFUL guns, and the Airweights are just incredible.

When I bought the 042 at a show last year, I quickly came to the conclusion that I just don't know how I ever did without one.

As for the price, generally yes, that's a very good price for a 640. You don't see 640s for under $300 to $350 in Northern Virginia where I live.

45automan,

I think you got a great price on a classic snubby. They run about $100 higher here in the upper Midwest.

Enjoy...

Joe

A super deal. I would have bought it pronto if i had found one at that price. I bought the first 640-1 .357 mag that i laid eyes on almost 6 years ago and have carried it daily and shot it enough that it had to go back to S&W once for a rebuild (bolt cuts on the cylinder started to peen out around the 4500 round mark, all magnums). Goes with me everywhere, IMHO one of the very best realistic carry guns for warm climates.

Might pick up an older 443/642/38/638 if i can find one cheap enough. I just put an old 3 inch square butt Model 37 on layaway for $175, so i am gonna have fun cleaning it up and customizing it into a nice little carry gun.

As for as the Gold Dots, if they shoot well in your gun then enjoy. In steel frame .38s I normally shoot Federal 147 +P+ hydrashoks, and after that i rather like the Golden Sabres. Older guns and Airwieghts get Standard Velocity Nyclads.

Hey, anybody have a listing for velocity on the old Speer Lawman 125 jhp 38 spl NON +p load? I bought a bunch of these cheap, and they shoot wonderfully, but feel pretty light.

P.S.

Look around for a 2" 34 or 63 22lr kitgun for a practice understudy. I bought a 2 " 34 in blue for $190 and it is wonderful great fun.

I just bought the 357 mag version (nib) for $434 tried to find a used one but after 2 months I gave in and bought a new one. I know about the agreement but it is a kick ass little gun and I had to have one. Anyway it is a great little gun and a great price. If you want a real small rubber grip the Hogue Bantam grip is really small and fits well too.

I have a M638 strapped on right now. Just got done doing my evening run around the neighborhood with it. This is a great gun, as are most J frames. My only complaint with it is it looks kinda funny, what with the shrouded hammer and all.

I've the M640 in .38 special version. Carry it more often than any other pistol I own. I just seems to fit into my pocket so nicely in a Kramer pocket holster. Load it with 125 gr Remington semi-JHP's +P, R38S2. Only change I made was to paint the front sight in day-glo orange. These old eyes of mine needed it.

Its a great pistol. I think you will appreciate it more over the years.

I just picked up a 640-1 NIB from a local dealer. I had been eyeballing one of these for months now and thought it would go nicely with my 686+. This keeps it simple for me since I am just starting to reload my own and find that semi-autos just isnt my cup of tea!

I've got a 640-1 .357 and an old model 49 .38. If I could only have one handgun, the 640-1 would be it.

However, I have a stainless Taurus model 85 that I am really getting attatched to. Taurus has come a long way in the quality and innovation departments. In fact, they may have, or soon will reach the point where they are superior to S&W revolvers--and they haven't soldout their customers, yet.

My snubbies are usually loaded with Winchester +P 158 gr. LSWCHPs, or the same load from CCI or Federal. The Remington Golden Saber 125 gr. in both .38 & .357 is pretty impressive in the expansion and penetration departments though. It's just that they, and their equivalent reloads' components are so damned expensive.

BTW 45automan, that is an excellent price for that 640.

I have a lot of toys, but the gun most often placed in the jeans pocket?.. A 638 airweight with 158 +P LHP. Also have a 60 357 and a class B engraved 60 for the wife. Love J frames!

Back