I Bought a New Gun Today Just to Get the Magazine...

weblance

I recently had the itch for a 1911-22. I bought a Colt 1911 Gold Cup 22. Its made by Walther, and imported by Umarex. Yes... I understand its not really a Colt Gold Cup, but thats what it says on the slide. I really like this pistol, and one of the reasons I chose it over the other 1911 22s on the market was that it comes with a 12 round magazine. It has a quality feel, and shoots well. I started looking for magazines, and there are none. I cant find extras anywhere. I really like the idea of 12+1. With the current atmosphere concerning guns, and a looming high capacity magazine ban, I was worried that I wouldnt get another 12 round magazine. These pistols ship to areas that dont allow more that 10 rounds, with a 10 round magazine, instead of the 12 round mag. I imagine that very soon, all the new Colt 1911 22 pistols will have 10 round mags. I wont be surprised if, and when, the next shipment of magazines becomes available, the 12 rounders will be gone.

So today, I stopped by my favorite shop, and bought a Colt Government Model 1911-22. I know thats crazy... and I never thought I would be swayed by the hysteria that seems to be happening today, but I am happy I have 2 magazines now. When the next shipment of magazines becomes available, If all I can get are 10 rounders, that will be ok, but I sure would like 12s if they are available.

I seriously doubt that the 12 rounders are gonna go anywhere. unless local laws are being proposed near you.

I've also done that same move but not for the same exact reason. I got a 422 awhile back since it had 2 mags with it and i could use the mags in my model 41. they also turned out to be 12 rounders so it was win win.

I think it really sucks that guns aren't coming with multiple mags... Kinda bugs me. Two should be the minimum.:mad:

So, now that you have two of them, are you going to practice 1911-two-gun shooting, like Bruce Willis, in "Last Man Standing"?

ten and twelve round mags by umarex, changing to twelve

About 10 and 12 round magazines by umarex. My son bought a umarex 1911 -22 and it works just great. He has two twelve round mags and one 10 round. He let me disassemble a ten and a twelve. It is so easy to make a ten round into a twelve. Remove the bottom base plate by pushing in the little round button, and slide the base plate off. Watch that the spring does not fly out. It is not that strong. Inside you will find a plastic part with a aluminum round piece. Remove the little aluminum piece, Use a pair of pliers and pull it streight off. it is a spacer, and reassemble. You now have a twelve round magazine. Both the ten and twelve are the same with the exception of the aluminum small round spacer. A cheap way for the manufacture to change the amount of 22's that the mag will hold. Just one last item. If you live in a state where they say no mags over 10 rounds, if you change your mag, that is your decision. Also you can buy any umarex mag for the 1911-22 and if you are told it is a ten round do not be afraid to buy it as in less than five minutes you can make it a twelve round. Enjoy!!!!

I did buy some on Ebay, and found a couple in a LGS. I have 6 now, and am happy with that number. Interesting to find out the 10 can be easily converted to a 12. Thanks for that bit of info...

I doesn't help any for the folks with the Colt/Umarex platform, but the GSG-Sig 1911-22 guys might take note that you can quickly and easily change from 10-rd to 14-rd with replacement magazine followers that run around $5-$6 each.

Install/switchover is ridiculously quick and easy.

Use of the newly changed magazines is not quite as easy, but it is a 4-round increase and I find that it just makes a tremendous difference. Admittedly, it was a difference that I enjoyed more before rimfire became like platinum. :eek:

10 or 12 round mags for umarex 1911-22

umarex 10 or 12 round magazines. I will keep it short. Take the ten round mag apart and pull off the round piece of aluminum that is on the bottom of the mag. It is about one inch long or a little shorter. Now put the mag back together without this piece of aluminum and you now have a 12 round mag. It was a easy way for the factory to make a 10 round mag with out making a whole new mag. Just added this spacer. Keep in mind where you live. You might be breaking your state law doing this. Enjoy!!!

Wow--A $2-300 magazine :eek:!

Just kidding of course as I am one who does own a few firearms of the very same model. As others have stated, at the very least you have spare parts readily available.

You could have bought a 10 round Kimber magazine that they sell for their 1911 .22 conversion and remove the spacer they have in the magazine and have a great 15 round magazine.

patriotic said:
You could have bought a 10 round Kimber magazine that they sell for their 1911 .22 conversion and remove the spacer they have in the magazine and have a great 15 round magazine.

I bought a Kimber 22 conversion for my SR1911. The magazines dont have a spacer. My conversion is only a year old, so maybe the older magazines have a spacer, but the new ones dont.

Back