I bought a Luger . . . sort of . . .

Prof Young

Shooters:

Wife has a broken foot, so we are home bound for a couple weeks. I’m the nurse maid, which I’m pleased to do, she is worth it, but it also puts a lot of time on my hands. Besides getting a lot done around the house, the BB gun range in the basement is seeing lots of action. I wanted something new and fun, so I found a Luger shaped BB gun and ordered it from Midway. I think I paid a bit over a c note. See pic 1 below.

Made in Taiwan. Distributed via Umarex. CO2 powered. Says it’s all steel, but the grips are plastic and other metal part don’t look like steel, at least not to my untrained eye. 21 shot magazine is very hard to load. See pic 2 below. I made a funnel of sorts by cutting the butt off a spent CO2 cartridge and drilling the neck out to a BB size hole. It sort of worked. The gun actually does a complete blow back with every shot, just like, I assume, a real Luger does. That action takes so much power that you only get about 30 shots out of one CO2 cartridge. It even mentions this in the owners manual. The bore is smooth and the sights are crap. At seven yards, if I hold the top of the front sight a good deal above where it should rest in relation to the rear sight, I can get it on target. Being a smooth bore gun, the groups . . . aren’t groups.

I bought it for fun and in that regard it is a success. So, it has joined the BB gun hang out. Gotta love it. See Pic 3 below.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Attachments

• gun box.jpg
    gun box.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 146
  • Gun.jpg
    Gun.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 132
  • gun wall.jpg
    gun wall.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 117
I forgot to mention . . .

I forgot to mention that as the CO2 power weakens . . . the gun may go in to full auto for a moment.

Life is good.
Prof Young

as the CO2 power weakens . . . the gun may go in to full auto for a moment.
Yowser!

I bought it for fun and in that regard it is a success.
As I age I realize we should all embrace this philosophy more often.

Good luck. And if you ever feel the urge you COULD get one of those uber accurate Olympic air guns and really hone your skills at home.

This one could be fun ($300):
https://www.amazon.com/Air-Venturi-Caliber-Competition-Target/dp/B01DWBNC7Q?th=1

or upgrade ($600):
https://www.pyramydair.com/product/...Inc.&cjevent=111bcade364811ef837802d00a82b82c

Last edited:
I have a Umarex Luger and their broomhandle Mauser pistol. The Luger is excellent. I used it to eliminate some yard varmints, then gave it to one of my sons, who uses it to shoot squirrels and ground squirrels on his bird feeders. It shoots to point of aim at about 20 to 25 feet and has enough power to kill rodents. I think you drilling out the magazine feed hole is causing the full auto, as the slightly undersized hole controls the BB feed one at a time.
The Mauser is a different story. Same slow to load magazine, you have to press them in one at a time. But point of impact is about 6 inches higher than point of aim. So I have to remember to correct for that and it is hard to hit a target like a small bird, that was trying to nest under my eves. It is select fire, though full auto drains the mag and Co2 cylinder super fast. Good discouragement for feral pets in my yard though.

I'm down to 3 Lugers now. Sold my 1936 P.08 to a friend. I have two copies of the Stoeger .22LR Luger, and one Luger in 9mm, stainless steel, made in Texas!! :D

I'm down to 3 Lugers now. Sold my 1936 P.08 to a friend. I have two copies of the Stoeger .22LR Luger, and one Luger in 9mm, stainless steel, made in Texas!! :D

1936 was the last year that all Lugers were rust blued with strawed parts. In 1937 they switched between the t and u serial blocks to the salt blued dark finish on all parts.

My 1936 and my 1937, both all matching including magazines excellent guns.

Attachments

• MAX_5876.jpg
    MAX_5876.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 60
  • MAX_5870s1.jpg
    MAX_5870s1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 56
as the CO2 power weakens . . . the gun may go in to full auto for a moment.
Their C96 Mauser does the same thing.
Even if in the semi-auto setting, once pressure gets low, they can just run away. bbzzbzzbzzbzzbzbbptbptdbptduh.....

Is the trigger pull mushy like the original P-08?

Imho if they feel mushy on the originals it's because of the tension spring on the back of the trigger. The spring in the attached picture holds tension on the trigger at all times but has very little to do with the actual sear bar which is a crisp clean break.

Attachments

• IMG_4278.jpg
    IMG_4278.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 50
Didn't drill out magazine feed hole . . .

44CaliberKid:
Thanks for the info. Fun stuff.
I didn't drill out the mag feed hole. Review OP.
Life is good.
Prof Young

Not asking for a pic, but I'm trying to think of the wall you're shooting at in your basement and my lack of knowledge intrigues me on how you have it all safe and not ruining the house?

Ummm . . . .big box of news papers . . . .

Wild Cat:
It's nothing fancy. A large box, about 3' by 2' or so is filled with newspapers that are laid flat, not crumpled up. It's on a shelf in the tool room. One stands about seven yards away and shoots through the tool room door. It's not hard of even the most inept to stay on target and hit the cardboard not the wood. All involved wear eye protection. I have a lot of targets that show your point of impact with burst of color. Great place to teach young shooters and I enjoy it myself a good deal.

Life is good
Prof Young

BB backstop

A decent size piece of scrap carpeting makes an excellent BB backstop. Put some plastic or metal trays under, BB's are eminently reusable.
I also shoot lead BB's fairly often, they are ideal for my rifled barrel pellet pistols.

Never had the $$$ for a Luger, certainly don’t know being retired.
Having said that, I have fought off buying one of those for years, prettiest pistol dying my book.
I do have a couple of Ruger MkII standard models, the silhouette reminds me of a Luger.
I’m sure I’ll buy a Umarex, one of these days.

Back