I am traveling to Broken Bow Oklahoma from Texas.

cloud8a

I am going on a fishing trip in Broken Bow Oklahoma this coming weekend. In Texas one can carry a loaded handgun concealed in your vehicle. How does this change once I enter Oklahoma? Will I be in violation of the law?
Are the handgun laws Different in Oklahoma State Parks?

If you DO NOT have a CWP:

How does this change once I enter Oklahoma?

It becomes just the opposite in Oklahoma. The handgun must be unloaded and completely visible, or in a case that is completely visible, or locked in the trunk or other exterior compartment of the vehicle.

Will I be in violation of the law?

If you leave it concealed and loaded you will be.

Are the handgun laws Different in Oklahoma State Parks?

No. Except that you can't carry in buildings.

I would highly suggest that you read Oklahoma statutes:
http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/OK_Statutes/CompleteTitles/os21.rtf

You want to especially read 21-1227, 21-1272, and 21-1289.7

I can't tell you what the law says exactly in Okla. but I can tell you that 4 of us went hunting in North Texas last year and stayed in Guyman Okla. Three of had CHL's from Texas and one from Florida. We carried everywhere we went. There were guys walking in and out of the motel with shotguns in one hand and leading labs with the other. The motel manager never even looked up when hunters walked by. Most gun friendly place I ever saw. My guess is that if you mind your business and follow the speed limits you will be fine. Just remember, concealed means "concealed".

I am back from my trip. I carried my gun loaded and concealed under the drivers seat while in Texas. Once I crossed the Red River into Oklahoma I pulled my gun out and handed it to my wife. She unloaded it and I put the bullets in my pocket and placed the gun in view on the backseat. Keep with the laws and adapt.

Back