I ALWAYS avoid Nikon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoke pole

Inactive
I tell everyone I can to avoid Nikon like the plague, whenever I get a chance. Not because of their scope or hunting product line but more corporate integrity.

Years back I had a photography sideline to help through the tough times, shot quite a bit for a few newspapers like the Indianapolis and Associated Press. I was down for an extended recovery time after a back injury and when the dust settled I couldn’t go back to lifting stretchers or dragging hose, so I bought a bunch of camera equipment with the settlement money.

A major portion of the purchase was a brand new F4 body ($2400.00) and a variety of lenses. I had so much trouble with electronics on that bugger that it went back 5 times for warranty service. The shop I bought the camera from tried to get Nikon to replace the body, and I even wrote to the head of US corporate HQ in NY - and NEVER received any reply.

Perhaps just a matter of my luck, but I feel more a problem with their ethics.

Yes, it is firearm related if you buy a Nikon scope, have trouble and they won’t stand behind their product. Saying this I realize that most purchases or issues come down to the retailer and their policy for return or refund but that may all depend upon the policy or track record of the manufacture and I don’ trust Nikon based upon personal experience. It may be a remote incident and maybe I’m the only one this ever happened to but in dealing with the parent company, I had a very bad experience and am just passing it along. others will decide for themselves what they want to do.

Perhaps everyone out there has had a bad experience with one company or another as some time and feel the same way because it depends on weather the parent company has old world values of “the customer is always right”, especially when things are so well documented and they just don’t care.

I am reporting that I found that the parent company has no honor. What you do with it is your business.

Yes, it is firearm related if you buy a Nikon scope, have trouble and they won’t stand behind their product.

I bought a Nikon Slug Hunter scope from an online retailer. When I attempted to zero it at 50 yards, the adjustments were not predictable.. Adjustment clicks that should have resulted in a 1/2 inch move would result in two or three inches.. One click might move the impact point 1/8 of an inch, the next click might make it jump another 3/4 inch. There was no predictability.

We even thought it could be the ammo.. Called up Hornady (SST's) and that AMAZING COMPANY not only tested my ammo, they sent me the lab results and a few boxes of ammo to replace what I sent them for free! I love that company!!

Finally sent the scope back to Nikon.. Two weeks later, I got the scope back with something called a Parallax alignment error report. (I think I got the terminology correct). When I called them up to find out what that is, they said the lenses inside the scope were not perfectly centered on the same axis with each other..

The scope works perfectly now. MOA adjustments are predictable at all distances. Oh ya.. when I returned the scope, they sent me a UPS Shipping label so I didn't have to pay for shipping either direction.

I can't complain about Nikon.... And its not like a Slug Hunter is top of the line or anything.. its a fairly cheap scope.

Yes, it is firearm related if you buy a Nikon scope, have trouble and they won’t stand behind their product.

Then you may want to edit your opening post to say that. Threads deemed not firearm related get closed on TFL in short order, even if a connection could be inferred.

Perhaps end you post with the question as to whether or not members have been happy with any servicing of their scopes, for example.

For my part, my entry level 3-9x50 Prostaff has been flawless and a pleasure to own, but then it has only had to deal with .22LR!!

I had a part break on my Nikon binoculars and they sent me a replacement part for free. Good company and great customer service.

If I quit buying from every company that someone had a problem with then there would be nothing let to buy.

Jim

I sent in a scope for service once. After a few months I called to see what the outcome was and was told they moved some or other of their facilities and it must have gotten lost along the way. End of story as far as they were concerned.
That was the end of my association with Nikon..

I bought a pair of their ATB binoculars for about $230 several years ago. Within a year the rubber coating had flaked off leaving just the bare metal body. I sent it back for warranty repair and they replied that their "warranty" only covered the optics and not the case. They said I had to send them $20 and they would replace it. When I got the new ATB's the same thing happened plus the right objective lens had some sort of cloudy material inside blurring the right sided viewing. So now I have a shiny, metal pair of binocs with no exterior coating that only work with the left eyepiece. I did not send this one back as I didn't want them to send me another pair of defective binocs.

No more Nikon for me.

best wishes- oldandslow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back