Hypothetical question

KDM

Hey, all. Quick, hypothetical question. What if someone were willed a "cane gun"...how, if at all, can that transfer be made legal? Who could one talk with about this hypothetical cane gun in regards to maker, date of manufacture, and (hypothetical) value?

Well, cane guns are generally considered AOW's. The transfer tax is only $5, thankfully.

I'm not quite sure how the transfer process works, though. I can't help you there.

If it wasn't registered when made, it cannot be legally transfered to another person. In fact, even possession of it would be illegal since it would be an unregistered NFA weapon. If it is registered to the deceased, it can be transfered to the beneficiary through the deceased's estate.

If it is registered to the deceased, it can be transfered to the beneficiary through the deceased's estate.
If I'm not mistaken, that's a tax-free transfer if the registered NFA firearm was willed to the beneficiary.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Would anyone have an idea of where to look for info on items of this kind? Stuff like manufacturers, descriptions, manufacture dates, etc. I've been doing searches, but have come up empty-handed thus far.

On the other hand you might hang it on the wall in your den, game room , or gun room above the reach of children, admire it, don't load or shoot it, don't advertise all over town of its existance, and don't show it to every Tom, Dick, or Harry, and happily remember your generous heir who provided it. After all you have legal firearms for protection in and out of your home.

cuate...couldn't agree more. It would certainly be a collector's item. Operating such a piece would be a bad thing, on many different levels.

Back