Hydro dipping a gun stock.

Deer hunter88

Does anyone on here have any experience with hydro dipping their gun stocks with spray paint? I'm considering giving it a try and would like some input on how to go about doing it. Do I need to use some type of clear coat like plasta dip? If so then do i put the plasta dip in the water first or spray the gun stock with it first?

"Hydro-dipping" with spray paint?
Are you referring to water transfer printing (WTP)? That's got nothing to do with rattle cans.

I'm lost...:confused:

Watch YouTube there are a lot of videos on it, I've never tried it. I own a couple of hydrodip stocks, but they're factory or professionally done. I don't think I'd use Plasti Dip, I'd primer the stock with a primer suitable for your stock material then after you dip use a satin clear coat. That's the process I use when painting a stock, and it holds up relatively well.

Video link for tobnpr, like I said I never tried it. Seems messy and then I have the contaminated water to dispose of. I'm having another stock done professionally and it cost me $160, but I'm sure the results will be better than what I can do with spray paint.

Last edited:
Or you can just use a variety of colors of spray paint made for plastic that should work well. Use natural shapes like fallen leaves, etc. I remember someone had done that - whether it was in this forum or another, I do not know, but it looked great. IIRC, he used a dull color for background than ~4 colors for varying effects.

I tried doing it using just a magazine for a test. Didn't work so well. I would suggest practicing on random objects to get good at it before doing the stock.
I even tried doing actual hydrodipping with the film and kit. Also didn't work out so well. Needs a lot of practice I guess. I'll stick with normal painting with spray cans or duracoat.

"...spray paint made for plastic..." Testor's Model paint. BBQ paint on Al. Krylon, Rust-Oleum or Tremclad on steel. Read the can for application directions.
You probably want to rethink the hydro-dipping when you don't seem to know exactly what it is. A 4 foot hydro-dipping kit runs $1500. The film that's 100cm(~ 39") x 2m(~ 6' 7") starts at $20. http://hydrodipstore.com/

Rustoleum has a series of camo-colors available. I just painted my paintball mask in a nice shade of nutmeg, which should hide a bit better. We'll see how well the paint holds up.

Im not sure how spray paint hydro dipping is supposed to work, and the more think about it, the less it seems like youre going to get anything good out of it.

Ive been painting guns since the 60's. Its easy, its fun, and it works.

enhance

AK - you missed the webbing on the sling. NOW you're just gonna stand out like you're wearing blaze orange! :D

Nice work!

Taylorce, thanks for the link.
Never seen it done like that. Learn something new every day....
I've used films/activators before but never spray paints. Interesting for random patterns, but I wonder about paint thickness variations and how smooth the finish ends up?

I did it to a Savage Axis stock with Krylon camo colors. It turned out better than I expected. No pics since I don't have a replacement for photobucket yet. I would suggest doing a trial run with a piece of 2x4 first, not all colors behave the same. some end up thicker, others spread out pretty thin.

Back