Husqvarna Vapenfabriks AB 270

Tooey

Inactive
This gun belonged to my deceased father-in-law. I have tried every site on the internet to find the exact same model (which is 175972) Husqvarna Vapenfabriks AB 270 Winchester bolt action rifle. It's a beautiful gun and has a Williams Scope on it. Engraved also is Nitro 36 but don't know what that means. I can't find any information on it anywhere. I'm really hoping I can have success on this forum with one of you knowing something about it?? I know it's old but not antique old yet. I "think" purchased in 1950's? Both my father-in-law and myself have kept it in great shape. Thanks to all who can help me out!

Last edited:
Thank you!

Thank you - I did miss that particular forum in my searching. I will put some pics up soon. It didn't help me with the true model or why my serial number doesn't show up anywhere. I really would like to pin down the year it was made. Thanks to you I have an idea of value but I'd really like more info than that link provided me. Appreciate your help though! :)

Husqvarna made a number of rifles in 270 Win. The "Husqvarna Vappenfabriks AB" roll stamp on the barrel is common across models as far as I know.

If you can post some pictures of your action that will narrow it down to whether it was built on a commercial FN mauser 98 action or a Husqvarna in house action.

The "Nitro 36" is interesting, a picture of that, plus all the other markings, can help identify where the rifle was proofed.

Jimro

One thing you can count on.Its a good gun. HVA is good stuff.The 270 is a great hunting cartridge.

My condolences on your loss.
Husqvarna Vapenfabriks AB is just the company name. Any model number on it?
A very wild guess is that it's a 1600-series that Husqvarna started making in 1953. A small ring Mauser-like design discontinued in 1969.
Like HiBC says, it's high end kit.

JIMRO - busy with company here at the moment but in a few weeks I'll be able to provide pictures. I do know it is a fine rifle - hunted with it myself - a policeman many years ago who knew guns told me I had an extraordinary rifle here but he didn't know the year or particulars of it either only that "he" loved it. I couldn't find any model # only the serial number I've provided in my post that I can't locate anywhere on the internet. The biggest listing of serial numbers said some numbers were pulled because they weren't in production long, so that may be what happened re my rifle. I'd say you are close with the year, though. Thanks to you (and others) for your input! :)

Husky 1640s were mausers of the "improved" type. The blade type ejector was mounted at an angle so the slot cut located under the left locking lug instead of bisecting it like a '98 mauser. Winchester m70s, Dakotas and some others used that design feature as well. Pull the bolt out and take a look.

Husqvarna Vapenfabriks AB 270 Pictures

One correction to make - scope is not a "Williams" it is a "Weaver DETA CHABLE" 60 B. Hope my pictures show enough. If not, I'll try harder to close in on the markings. I have one with bolt in and bolt out. There is some discoloration but the bolt moves as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Attachments

• GunIMG_06201.jpg
    GunIMG_06201.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 203
  • GunIMG_06211.jpg
    GunIMG_06211.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 176
  • GunIMG_06241.jpg
    GunIMG_06241.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 164
Tooey,

I believe you have a Husqvarna HVA right there. If the ejector split isn't on the left lug (the top lug when the bolt is in battery) that clinches it as an HVA.

Let us know :)

Jimro

Yes, Jimro, never was there a doubt it was HVA - it's stamped right on it - it's the problem of dating my rifle that I have because there is no model # on it, just the serial # and I can't find that exact serial # listed anywhere. However, thanks to you and the forum, I do believe it's between 1952-53. Any idea of value??

A quick look at pooshka puts the average used price at $475, with $270 in trade in value. A look at Husqvarna rifles on gunbroker says that's "about right" considering the wide range of asking prices.

Jimro

Back