Hunting with xvr

BoogieMan

I have had my 469xvr for a while. I am plenty good with irons to make humane kills at 50yds or less. Many times that's plenty but I felt I lacked the precision I prefer and often times I need range around 75-100 and on rare ocasion that could stretch to 150. So I mounted a vari-x Leo. At the range from a rest I can clover leaf 5rnds at 100yds. So the precision is there. The problem I now have is that it's difficult to get the gun up, find my target and aim unless I have perfect conditions. We all know the conditions are never perfect. So, I am considering dropping the vari-x in favor of a red dot. What I would love would be a 2x or even 4x red-dot. Do any quality manufacturer make such a thing? Any other suggestions?
Lower end sights will not hold up to the recoil.

A 2x (no vari) should work fine. Over that and you will have a rough time.
Red dots can have magnifiers added, and there are a few oddball magnified units. I have one that isn't worth beans.

If you are going to use a 1x red dot for long range, get a small 3 moa dot.

"...Any other suggestions?..." Practice more with the optic. A Red Dot like gbran's "small 3 moa dot" will entirely cover the black at 100. No clover leaves when you can't see the target properly.
"...perfect conditions..." Applies to just about everything. Bambi refuses to stand broadside on every time. Light conditions change for no apparent reason other than a cloud. That cloud drops water on you. Etc, etc.
Smith claims for a 469XVR: "If You Zero its Sights at 200 Yards You Will Bag Your Buck with a Center Hold 0-250 Yards with No Hold Over!" No idea why they capitalize every word. snicker.

You might want to try a set of shooting sticks, but of course now you are getting into all the equipment that takes away the advantage of size and weight savings with a pistol.

I usually Hunt from a stand. When on foot I carry a pump rifle. I can shoulder and be on target much faster than I can with a handgun. The problem with the scope on. The handgun is the eye relief. The sweet spot is very limited. Several times I have not been able to get my arms extended because of the angle around tree etc.. if I could get the deer to stand still between 50 and 100 yards for more than 10 sec this would be a non-issue.

I too went with a Leo variable at first on my XVR and had the same problem......eye relief was just too short(15"), especially at higher power. Went to a 2X Burris with 24'' and it was a whole different ballgame. That said, I now hunt with just the irons on my 460. Even with irons I can keep all my shots well on a pie plate @ 100 yards with a good rest.

Buck- I started with a weaver 4x. It was about equal with the Leo but much lighter. Unfortunately it would not Tae the recoil and ended up going back to weaver. Any chance you want to sell your burris? I would give that a shot.
Have you tried the red dot?

I have moved away from from scope for shooting under 100 yards and am using a H1 Aimpoint on my 7.5" and 10.5".

The dot does cover the black at 100 yards - but anything in the black = dead.

Getting on the target is much faster and placing the dot is strait forward comparatively.

I use shooting sticks for longer shoots or rest on tree.

I don't shoot unless I know I am confident making a good shoot - this requires patience and yes I have to pass on occasion.

I have not used the Ultra dots but plan on trying them soon. They come highly recommend by a number of big bore shooters.

This what mine looks like - just ignore the bear.

Good luck and be safe
Ruggy

Griz%20and%20Gun_zpsbncu5xl0.png

Other than from a bench, the added magnification only makes it harder to hold on your target (and find it too). But you may well be shooting from a blind that has a "bench". In which case, I would use lowest power setting for hunting and higher power settings only at the range. 2x works for me, but it took some serious getting used to over irons. A monopod made a lot of difference for me. Tried tripods, and didn't like them. Too slow. But that means "more stuff" to carry.

Some great info guys. I ignored the bear.lol
I think I will pick up a cheaper halo like a fast fire 3 and see how it works out. I like the halos because I can use both eyes.
Out of curiosity do most of you shoot weaver stance or isosceles wits big revolvers? I understand in a hunting situation you may adapt any means needed to get on target.

I generally use a modified Weaver and a shooting stick unless I'm in a blind using a rest. I seldom shoot the X-Frame without a rest of some kind. When sneak hunting and shots come faster with less time and opportunity to get into position, I take the N-Frame .44. Again, my problem with the Leupold was not the magnification, but the short eye relief which did not allow me to extend my strong arm to brace for the recoil. The Picatinny rail mount on my P.C. Comped Hunter only compounded the problem. The Burris made that problem go away and stoof up to the recoil for the period f time I used it. As for selling it, I'll just keep it around in the case I might want to remount it. But for now, irons and keeping my distance to 125 yards or less is working just fine.

Back