Hunting with the K31 = success!

MEATSAW

As many of you know who read this forum regularly I recently purchased a Swiss K31. Over the last couple months I have done some work to it ultimately preparing it to use as a hunting rifle that's something different than the stereotypical hunting rifle. Well I got my opportunity this weekend to use the rifle on a scimitar horned oryx hunt in south Texas. I used Prvi Partisan 174gr soft points. I noticed the soft points were very slightly less accurate than Swiss GP11 when I zeroed the rifle. The rifle performed well and the oryx went down like a sack of potatoes when I put a round into its chest.

DSCF8981.jpg

Nice job!:) I plan on deer hunting this fall with my as issued swedish Mauser. I to have been practicing and at 50 yards i can hit a water bottle standing with it. I plan on using hand loads.

Great! Congrats! Unless I miss my guess, that looks like one of our scope mounts and Butt Pad Adaptor. Right?:D
Great shooting!

nice shooting and with a gorgeous rifle to boot.
I have seen pics online of people who have taken elk with a K31, so the cartridge is definitely up to the task.

Congratulations

Very nice big game animal, and rifle. The Swiss K 31 is a very good platform for a hunting rifle. Im glad you had a good hunt.

I got my first and only deer 2 years ago w/ a K31, using the Hornady ammo with the 150gr SST bullet. It was in Jack county, well to the north of Burnet, but similar looking country.

What rings are you guys using with that mount?

The Hornady ammo was good stuff but $$$. I imagine it didn't sell great.

Wiilie, I highly recommend the Warne 7.3 rings from Brownells. They are extra beefy and designed for centerfire rifles. I have not had any problems with the mount or the rings coming loose. I have noticed that the 7.3 rings not sold from Brownells are different. So get the ones from Brownells.

Hornady, unfortunately, no longer makes K-31 ammo...

Go to Cabela's website and type in 'hornady metric'. Still shows as in stock, but at $24/box, pricey.

The Prvi at ~$15/box is a better buy for SP.

Since we're on the topic of hunting with the K31, some questions for the folks who have hunted with it:

1) Since the K31 wasn't designed to be a lightweight hunting rifle, how cumbersome was it to hunt with if you walk/stalk?

2) Anyone used an aftermarket sling (one that is more comfortable) with their K31 for all day carry? If so, please provide make/model.

Thanks.

1) Since the K31 wasn't designed to be a lightweight hunting rifle, how cumbersome was it to hunt with if you walk/stalk?

It pretty much stinks :-). With all that wood PLUS the scope, it's really heavy. I've still never weighed it, but it's pretty darn heavy. After picking up some common hunting rifles with synthetic stocks (Marlins, Remingtons, Savages, etc.,), I see the benefit of the synthetic. MUCH lighter.

I took mine on a hog hunt in some heavy woods near Forreston, TX, and after lugging it around the woods for 3 hours (never got a shot off), it was exhausting. There is no substitute for modern designs, that's for sure. I sold it shortly thereafter...so I could get another, heavier rifle, a 2nd M1 Garand...

Most Deer Hunters around here hunt out of stands that are not for from there vehicle, so weight doesnt really matter. For that kind of hunting I prefer a heavy rifle.

Most Deer Hunters around here hunt out of stands that are not for from there vehicle, so weight doesnt really matter. For that kind of hunting I prefer a heavy rifle.

That's how I got my 2 deer last year. However, I now live in Colorado, so that kind of hunting doesn't really work around here. I need to get something lighter :-(.

I stalk hunted with my K-31 for deer a couple years ago. Saw no deer but walked and crept a lot. Was too late in season. Anyhow, if it's too heavy for you then grow a pair and go to the gym lol.

Back