Hunting with handguns

Comcon

Inactive
Greetings all, sorry, but I’m a bit of a rookie at this.

I am considering trying my hand at hunting with a handgun. I’ve been looking into purchasing a .44 Mag. (S&W 629, Ruger SuperRedhawk, Taurus RagingBull, etc.) My initial intent was to use it to hunt wild pig/boar. However, I’ve been contemplating finding a weapon that would be suitable for deer and elk as well. In your opinion, is a .44 Mag. enough gun for elk? Or, should I consider moving up to .454, .480, etc. Any suggestions on a specific revolver?

A 44mag will work fine. I have had very good luck with a heavy hardcast bullet for elk sized game. However, for deer sized animals, any expanding bullet will work. I have no experiance with the 480, but have owned several 454's, and i would suggest you get used to the recoil of a 44 mag first.

.44 mag is plenty handgun for all you specified. The key is to practice enough that you can make your shot and know when it becomes to difficult a shot to take.

Handgun hunting's most important aspect is shot placement - know your liimitations and stick with them. Your .44 will do you proud then...

Back