Hunting with a semi-auto?

RH

Whenever I've seen articles on handgun hunting, it's always been with medium/big bore revolvers - .357, .41, .44 etc.

Are there any auto calibers appropriate for hunting? On what type of game?

[Edited by RH on 01-11-2001 at 02:50 PM]

.40 Super and .45 Super and 450 SMC should fit the bill where the 10mm does.

IIRC, .40 Super looks awfully like the lighter .41 Mag ballistics.

Auto Pistol Calibers-

As mentioned the 10mm is gaining popularity, the .357 was chambered in several autos (Coonan-LAR and Desert Eagle) and the .44 Rem. Mag. in the LARs and Desert Eagles. The .44 Automag in the discontinued Automags (AMT), the .45 Win Mag in the Wildeys and AMTs also the LARs. The .475 Wildey Magnum as seen in the Bronsen movies is unique and the .50ae in the LARs, Desert Eagles and AMTs. What'd I miss? Ah! The various 9mm magums, Cooper had a wildcat similiar to the current 9x23 back in the 70s and the IPSC cartridge the 9x25 could be loaded for mediumsized game also. The .30 carbine with proper ammo in the old AMT for small game? Enjoy! Roy

rh...

hello...

i have done some close range deer hunting with .45 acp... this year i killed a large doe with 185gr corbons at around 25 yards... using a ruger p-97... i also killed a buck with a converted p-90 (400 corbon)... i have hunted with the 185 gr. corbon 45's for a couple of seasons... and have been pleased with their preformance (4 one shot kills) ... not so with the 400... next year... i will be using the p-90 as a 40 super and/or 450 smc... more range...

have a good day... and good hunting...

regards... v.

Back