Hunting With A Revolver

PALongbow

Guys,

I need some advise from you guys that hunt with a revolver. I plan on hunting deer this year during our firearms season solely with a 2X scope mounted Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag. Any good advise on hunting with a Revolver???

Thanks,
Ron

1. Remember your range is limited. If you zero for 75 yards, it's "Point it and pull" between you and 100 yards.

2. Practice a whole bunch, using mid-range loads so as not to develop a flinch. Practice some more.

I've not used one of the chest-strap braces, nor used a walking stick as a hasty rest. You might try either or both, to see if there is worthwhile help in holding a steadier sight picture.

Dunno if you play sneaky-snake or sit in a stand, but being a silent walker certainly helps in the former...And both require patience.

:), Art

Your maximum range should be limited to the distance you can consistently hit a target the size of a compact disc or DVD under field conditions.

Also, even when hunting . . . use ear protection. A .44 Magnum is LOUD. Electronic earmuffs would be a good choice.

2. Practice a whole bunch, using mid-range loads so as not to develop a flinch. Practice some more.

A pair of leather shooting gloves and a so called "gardener's wrist wrap" might help during practice, followed by briefly soaking the hands and forearms in ice water. If the loads used cause any significant hand or arm swelling or numbness or tingling or require any serious use of ice for pain relief then they are too hot for serious practice.

(I picked this info up from a fellow I used to work with who was a regional finalist in silouette shooting competition.)

Hmmm. Hadn't heard about the ice-water deal.

Regardless, the key is the same for pistol as for rifle: The sear breaks when the sights are in the right spot. Light loads make this practice easier, and there will still be enough recoil to practice getting back on target for a second shot if needed.

Art

Good advice from all the only other thing I have to offer is remember you don't need bear killing bullets for deer 180's and the 240's work fine and don't beat the snot out of you.

GOOD LUCK!!

My advise would be: Do not try to make a handgun into a rifle. Know its/your limitations, and hunt within them. Realize the differences between what you can do on the shooting bench, and in the real world.

I pick my handgun hunting deer stands same as I do for bowhunting stands. I like funnels or well used trails in thick cover, where if I see a deer, it will be within range. However my SBH has open sights, your combination with a scope may give you a bit more range. Still, limit yourself to a distance you are confident you can make a one shot kill. For me the challenge of using a handgun rather than a rifle, like in bowhunting, is that you have to have the skills to get close to the deer. Scent control, proper stand placement, wind, all come into play when you have to be right in there with the deer. Good luck.

I hunt deer frequently with a revolver. Favorites are my .45 Colt Smith, and my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk. I agree with leadbut, in that you do not need max loads to do the job on deer. I have taken several with the 225 grain WW Silvertip.

I do not favor scopes on handguns. If the range is expected to be more than 35 to 50 yards, I will have the little Marlin 1894. I only use a handgun when stalking or still hunting in very heavy cover, and most shots are not over 35 yards. I think optic sights are not as quick as open sights at close ranges, and tend to obscure the sight picture, and they certainly make a handgun bulkier and less handy.

I'm torn on using a scope vs a good adjustable sight.

For 50 meters, sight.

For 100 meters, I am inclined to stick with sight.

150 meters, a scope would help, and probably the limit for me with any confidence.

200 meters, definitely a scope, 4x, and beyond my consistent ability.

300 meters and beyond, a camera with telephoto lens, because I can't see that well. We won't even talk about hitting something smaller than a grain elevator :D

While it isn't a revolver, I do hunt whitetail with a Thompson Center Encore pistol in .44 Mag. Considering the 2 deer I took with it were both under 100 yards, I've had no problem using the Leupold Gilmore red dot sight that I have mounted on it.

The red dot sight works very well at ranges under 100 yards. It gives you the ability to rapidly acquire the target, and with both eyes open, it's easy to keep the deer in sight.

I like to ease the cylinder around with my off hand so the indexing click isn't so loud when cocking the revolver for single action use. It's amazing how loud it seems out in the woods!

You can have Whooping Cranes screaming over head and hogs snuffling and grunting 30 yards over with turkeys scratching away another 20 feet away and that damn click will shut them up faster and have them ALL looking in your direction quicker than anything I've ever seen!! It's un un-natural noise out there!

Incidentally I've found that 240 Gr. cast lead bullets work the best for just about any thing.

Vince

I love hunting with revolvers! I have a 44 mag SRH, 9 & 1/2" barrel, with a 2x6 Bushnell on it. I also have a 44mag SBH, 10 & 1/2" barrel, with no scope. Both are great guns for hunting.
I shoot most of my deer in the 20 to 50 yd. range. I also hunt with a muzzleloader and also a bow. I really like the close encounter.
Jim Hall

I hunt with a SuperRedhawk with a 2x Leupold scope mounted. All the tips on practice are good. I use paper pie plates down at the range. Slightly bigger than the CDs or DVDs mentioned (and they don't shatter when hit ... so I can shoot a whole cylinder at one plate). 'Course maybe HankB was talking about putting all his shots through the whole in the CD? :) I feel comfortable shooting unsupported out to 65 yards or so; would pass on anything farther out. But then, I need to practice some more.

Personally, I favor jacketed soft points to hollow points. Also like Pistol Packaging's Bandito rig for carrying. Easy on and easy off over your hunting clothes.

Back