Hunting Show this weekend in OKC, what to get?

HukeOKC

So far, I am going to be hunting on the ground without a stand. I will be hunting with a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06. But I need some ideas from some experienced Deer hunters of things they take to the hunt with them. I plan on getting some rattling antlers and a call but I don't know what are the best kind. So a few hints on brands would be helpful.

If you have some small items that you just wouldn't be without, please let me know what they are. I am fairly experienced in the field as far as survival the Army way, but give me some things that you bring along that have come in handy from time to time. Like iodine tablets, hand/feet warmers, MRE's, etc. I am fairly new to deer hunting and so I haven't quite figured out all the extras to bring along just yet.

Please include brand names if you can so I'll know what to look for. Thanks in advance.

HukeOKC, any answer will be subjective as each hunter has his/her own way of doing things and what items are carried out on a hunt. So....

First, unless you are experienced with the antlers and calls, I'd leave them at home. You might scare off more deer than you call in. Practice during the off season.

Secondly, start with a small day pack and put in a canteen of water, toilet paper in Ziplok bag, waterproof match case and stick matches, Bic lighter, a good compass and topo map, a package of beef jerky or similar food, 25 feet of 550 parachute cord, a space blanket, and a poncho or rain suit. (I've had to use my rain suit more times than I can count. I like Helly-Hanson but there are other good ones.)

I carry a good drop point 4 inch blade knife on my belt with a diamond sharpner attached to the sheath. In my pocket is a three bladed stockman style Camillus pocket knife. I also carry the ammo in my rifle, plus ten rounds in my pack. Others carry more; others less.

Before leaving camp/home, I put a fresh sandwich and couple of Snickers in my pack. I carry a lightweight First Aid kit that I made up, which includes a tweezer, couple of safety pins, a curved sewing needle with a small roll of dental floss. (You'd be amazed at what you can do with that dental floss in an emergency.)

Don't forget your deer tag and hunting license (yeah, it happens), and I always carry a folded sheet of paper, and pencil to fill out my tag, etc., or make a note if I need it.

As you gain experience hunting, you will probably add to this, and perhaps delete a few things... but these items are ALWAYS with me when I hunt.

Good luck. J.B.

Outstanding, those are exactly the things I was talking about. Those things that YOU as a hunter carry with you. You are absolutely correct, we all have our different methods and some will differ from others. I figured that if we all put a few things that we like to carry with us, a beginner like myself, can put together a good packing list and pick and choose with experience.

The toilet paper is definetley a must! :D

HukeOKC, I almost forgot. If you are not familiar with how to clean a deer, I strongly suggest you buy a video which is recommended by the Idaho Fish and Game Dept., on how to do it. It is outstanding.
For $19.95 plus a couple $$ for shiping, you can't go wrong.

Call 888-524-7668, and ask for the "game cleaning video." You won't be sorry.

Good luck. J.B.

P.S. Geez, I shoulda looked in my pack before typing. I always carry a Mini-Mag flashlight with two extra, fresh batteries. Years ago, I bought a band that went around my head, to which the Mini-Mag light would attach. Really great if you have to have both hands free, such as cleaning the game late in the evening, etc etc. I think I got the band through L.L. Beanersnitzel.

[This message has been edited by Jay Baker (edited August 23, 2000).]

I ussually take a small bag of tootsie rolls, they keep your hands and mouth busy (keep you from getting bored, or jabbering) and they unwrap alot quiter than some other candies :)

I bought a book on that and have researched it on the internet. I also hunt with a cousin who has done it before. Definetely good advice. They have videos at these shows all the time, I may just have to grab one. I also found one on the internet but the footage was terrible. Field & Stream's website has a story on their "Whitetail Treasury" also.

Generally, rattling on deer works best with two people--one to rattle, the other to be ready to shoot. Also, it works best on very cold, still days. If you, alone, try rattling, make sure you're backed up at the edge of some brush, or you could get goosed or run over--and that's no joke!

Toilet paper is great to mark the site of a kill, if you have to leave and go for help. Also, to mark the path to and from your deer. Last, to mark the spot from where you shot, and where the deer was, if you have to trail him.

Have fun, Art

Only addition I can possibly make to Jay's excellent observations would concern how you pack your stuff. I've found over the years that a good pack helps a bunch. Lots of makes/types. I would take a hard look at the Camel Back compatable ones.

Giz

I just bought a "PUR" water filter pump this summer, and wont go hiking/camping/hunting/fishing without it. Me and my friend went on a weekend hiking/hunting trip and had to pack 4 liters of water with us!! Yeah we could've taken pirifying tablets but where's the fun?(they taste nastey too!) When We got back I bought the pump for $60. It weighs very little, and it is great to have a fresh drink of ice cold stream water!

Hey Jay, you and I could switch gear and probably hardly notice. The only thing I'd add to the above posts are a small tarp or ground cloth and some game bags. This is because I always skin, quarter and pack big game out rather than drag it. Dragging usually isn't an option where I hunt, and I think its easier anyway (ever try to drag a moose?). I use the tarp to lay the meat on as I butcher, then pop the meat into game bags and load them into my back. Skinning, quartering and bagging keeps the flies and dirt off, and allows the meat to cool quickly. These are crucial for a good finished product. Hang the bags in a cool spot when you get home. I like the heavy duty game bags that aren't made of the cheese cloth crap. You spend a little more, but I've had mine for years (and not because they've never been used ;)) Good luck to you and have fun. Let us know what happens.

------------------
Dave

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock".
Bumper Sticker

Back