Hunting scope/mount combo for Redhawk

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions on scope/mount combos for my Redhawk. It has a 7 1/2" barrel and is a .44 magnum, I will be using it for deer/hog hunting probably no further than 75-100 yards in the mountains and peidmont of North Carolina.

It has a set of factory 1" rings that mount directly to the barrel. Are these good to use or is a B-square reciever mount(or equivelant) better for eye relief etc.?

I have been thinking about putting a Burris 2x scope on there, or maybe a red dot sight, which would be better for hunting? Does the Burris have any mounting problems with the factory rings ie. incorrect eye relief, or physical mounting problems? If y'all think a red dot is the way to go, which ones work the best for handguns, mount the easiest on the ruger rings etc?

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Chuck

I'm not going to be any help on the rings, but I have a
Luepold Gilmore red dot scope on a pre-agreement S&W
model 629 classic that I have sighted in for 100 yds max.
and I love it! although it does take patience and some range time to get used to it-at first it does appear fairly shakey as you move it's magnified through the scope.
the dot has adjustable brightness levels 1-11, when its sunny even on the 11 you can still see it. personally
I had a little more trouble with the magnified scopes, but I have a cross-eye dominance problem that may have contributed to the problem. scope was $250 w/ mount and bore sighting. hope this helps

I would go with the Burris 2X scope. Ruger has an excellent mounting system. I don't care for bolt on scope mounts.

I assume you mean a Super RH with the 1" Ruger rings. Been grappling with this issue myself.

MidwayUSA currently has an excellent deal on a Bushnell 2x32mm pistol scope with 1" tube. If you want to go with the various red dots, they're mostly 30mm + tubes, so you'll have to go with the aftermarket 30mm rings or one of the base mount systems.

On a hunting platform, the light gathering properties of a traditional scope provide a slight edge over most red dot systems. However, I understand that red dots allow for much faster target acquisition.

So I ordered the Bushnell 2x scope. But red dots do intrigue me, and maybe after tax refunds (TBD!)...............

Thanks for all of the info guys.

HD2995 thanks for the rundown on those gilmore/leupold red dot sights. I have a much cheaper tasco accudot that I bought just to play around with last year. It is 30mm tube though, so it won't fit on the redhawk (unless they make aftermarket 30mm rings that fit on the barrel just like the ones that came with it???) I put that on a shotgun last hunting season and used it on a couple of deer. It worked really good, so good that I'm not sure that a scope would be better. It seems to me that a scope collects more light so you see the target a little better but I usually lose the crosshairs on the target if it is getting pretty dark, I can usually guesstimate to within a few inches but I hate not knowing for sure. A red dot on the other hand lets you keep both eyes open and on the target and I've found that even if the target is only a black sillouete I can still know exactly where the dot is on the target which I like. But I'm thinking that maybe a red dot sight on a pistol might lead to canting errors in low light?

M16 I also hate bolt on mounts, I would much prefer to use the ones that came with it. If I get a scope more than likely it will be a Burris, I trust them to be rock solid and I've never had one fail me yet.

ZeusOne, Sorry but this is not a super redhawk, it is just a redhawk. If I'm not mistaken, the super redhawks scope mounts are situated a little further back and on the reciever. Do you know of anyone who makes 30mm rings that fit? That would be great!! I have ordered a couple of scopes from midwayusa and they are great people to deal with and fast to deliver too. I'm sure that the B&L is a great scope but I am pretty stuck on Burris scopes.

Is there anywhere that you can buy extra 1" rings? From Ruger maybe? Then I could just put a set of rings on a scope and a set on a red dot sight and switch them back and forth (grin, drool). That would probably solve all my problems (except for making more money).

Thanks again everyone,

Chuck

Chuck,
I have the same Redhawk, I put a Leopold 2x on it and its great. The Ruger rings are much better in my opinion, you can take them off and put em back on with no loss of zero.

Save yourself from injury

A rickety ole hillbilly like you shouldn't try to hunt with such a powerful handgun- you'd be best off passing it along to a Jethro-sized friend who can handle it. Stick to squirrel rifles and such for your own safety.

-A good Samaritan

I bought a set of Burris 30mm rings to fit the Super Redhawk so I could mount a Tasco pro point. It didn't work due to the rings not being spaced far enough apart. Tasco showed a mount that they produce for the super redhawk on the box the propoint comes in. I tried calling and e-mailing Tasco as to where I could purchase the mount but I guess they were to busy to deal with a customer as they never answered with a reply. Their voice mail system is a POS. I wouldn't buy one of their riflescopes but have had good luck with their propoints.

If I remember correctly from where I bought the scope,
and from some other local shops-I have probably 6-8 shops
in my area I can get prices and info from, and most of them recommended either the luepold or the pro-point the reason being that some of the cheaper ones wouldn't last or handl a big gun, especially with some hot loads.

I got my Redhawk specifically to shoot 300+ gr. bullets and because I could get the factory scope mounts that put the scope out on the barrel. I originally put a Simmons 2x silver on it and the cross hairs started rotating on me after a few shooting sessions with heavy loads.

I put the Leupold 2x on it like I should have in the first place and have been happy ever since.

Here is a pic of my Redhawk with the 2x Leupold silver finish in the factory rings.

View

Thanks for all of the info guys, these posts have been a lot of help to me as I decide what to do with my redhawk.

Hey, pmglock you ole hillbilly, I tell you what I'll will you my redhawk IF you will me yourn. That way which ever one of us dies last gets em' both. Ol' lady says hey.

Thanks for the links, ol reb, some nice options there.

Hey, intel6 that is a nice pic of a redhawk there!

Thanks everyone,

Chuck

Back