Hunting rifle advice?

mitranoc

Fellow shooter's,
Well the time has come to buy a new hunting rifle for boar and deer. I was originally going to get a 6.8 upper for my AR, but have decided to go with a more potent round (.308 or 30-06) in a bolt action. I'd like to keep weight to a minimum, and prefer a synthetic stock. I recently shot a friend's X-Bolt Medallion 30-06 and was impressed with it's accuracy and trigger. I'd definitely like to keep it under $1,000 (not including glass). I'm open to suggestions.

Savage's new ultra light weight is the latest addition to my run rack. 6.5 Creedmoor is definitely potent enough for hogs and deer.

For 1000.00 you could build a first rate rifle that you could use the rest of your life and pass it to your kids.

1. Get a 1903 or 03A3 Springfield that has already been sporterized. Rebarrel with stainless steel 12 twist barrel of heavier dimensions. A 5A Douglas contour is a good all around contour.

2. About ten inches in front of the action turn barrel down to a cylinder for .800". Barrel can be any length to 26".

3. At the .800 point mount a Weaver 92A base (fits .800" barrel dia) and Weaver see thru bases and a NC Star 2-7" scope.

4. Free float the barrel, bed the action.

Get an extra extractor, striker, striker rod and striker spring and you will have a rifle you can maintain yourself without tools for the next 50 years.

If you go the extra little bit and get a custom 30.06 reamer to the right dimensions you can reload LC Match brass over 100 times.

If you want accuracy with minimum weight, you should t least look at the Tikka T3 Lite. I'd look @ SS, but some people like the blued look.

I second the Savage notion they are just more accurate and leave the rest behind in that department. But if you already like that Browning the by all means, give it a try.

I've had excellent results with the Howa/Wby Vanguard rifles. Economical and accurate. The Series 2 has a much better trigger than earlier models. This choice will get you into the whole shebang including glass and ammo for under $1K.

If you've never shot a Savage with Accutrigger, you are missing out. I've found them to be extremely accurate and an excellent rifle for the price.

Older remington 700 would be my first thought. If you can find the right deal on a new one you can get a good trigger for about $150.00. So factor the $150.00 on the price when deciding.

I am not a fan of plastic parts on bolt action rifles so that rules out some possible good choices for me. I am not much of a fan on the zinc die cast parts on remingtons and others so for me that adds another $200.00 to the initial cost. I can't deal with thermo-plastic stocks so out goes another $350.00 for a stock.

So, look for an older one that already has a good trigger, good bottom metal and a decent stock as it came from the factory.

my opinion

With that kind of budget you've got a lot choices. I've read really good reviews on the Browning X-Bolt and the new Winchester Model 70's, and I really like the Winchester. As you've read above Savage has a huge following and for good reason, they are very accurate. Ruger also makes a very nice bolt rifle. If you have a large gun store you should go and handle as many as you can to determine which you like best. Good luck and be sure to post what your choice was and how it shoots!

Should cost you under $400, but nothing wrong with the Marlin x7 rifles. Own a couple of them, a 25-06 and a 308. Both shot quite well out of the box for me. Marlin does have a nice adjustable trigger thats their version of an accutrigger. LOL, money saved with the Marlin can go for the cost of a darn nice scope.

FWIW, Most of gents I shoot with practically every Sunday at range we are members own some of the higher end Savage rifles, which do shoot quite well. However, several of my shooting buddies disliked the accutrigger in their Savages and replaced them, usually with a Rifle Basix trigger.

For $1000.00 you can do many things and get a truely accurate rifle that you can take great pride in forever and whoever takes over your junk when you leave can still use for their lifetime.
I admit to a preference for Mauser action WWII era iron. If you want a long action, choose a P17 Remington/Enfield and build whatever you want. All competant gunsmiths do great work here. If you want the medium length action, get a K98 action and do the same thing. If you hanker for a lightweight, get an Arisaka and build whatever you want.
Let your dreams lead you on!

Tikka T3 stainless in 308, has become my go-to rifle for anything in the lower 48. Use the extra money (should be around $700) for a nice Zeiss scope.

I am not a fan of plastic parts on bolt action rifles so that rules out some possible good choices for me.

Synthetic is definitely my first choice, but I will still consider wood. I don't want to limit my choices on choosing a great rifle because of stock selection.

If you have a large gun store you should go and handle as many as you can to determine which you like best. Good luck and be sure to post what your choice was and how it shoots!

Have a gun show this weekend, and going to check out Gander's huge selection. Will definitely post what I purchase...with a range report.

I have many deer rifles and I would say my favorite is a
Browning A-bolt I love the gun and you can adjust the weight of the trigger 2-6 lbs. it is very accurate and you can have the Option to get the boss muzzle brake on it witch will allow you to fine tune you ammo. But the one problem with it is that you cannot Disassemble the bolt that I know of.
if you get the stain less and camo stock mine came out to be around 1000 that is if you get stain less and camo. a friend got a used one for 550

Last edited:
Ruger (tactical) model 77 hawkeye in .308. I have their Tactical Hawkeye and am extremely happy with it.

or Ruger's new guide gun in .30-06. These are brand new so I don't know if anyone's put one through the paces.

Last edited:
Back