Hunting Loads for 2024

GeauxTide

Finished up loads for my 280 and 308. 139 and 154 Interbonds for the 280 and 165 Grand Slams for the 308. All shoot 1/2" from my 700s and blow through deer from any angle. If they do run, the quarter sized exits blow like a water hose.

Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer, AL. They always have a good selection of all things Hornady. They get an annual visit by Hornady Reps, too.

Very interesting. Hornady hasn’t produced those in a few years. Apparently all the retooling needed to produce them isn’t worth it with all the sales of their other bullets. I’ve got a dwindling supply of 180’s for my 300 win. Took a Rocky Mountain elk at 400 yards 2 years ago with amazing results. Not to mention countless deer.

280 is a great round. If I didn't own a 7RM, I'd have this. If I had the extra money, a necked up .308 to a 358 Winchester in a lever action would be fine too.

I am going to be a bit critial here. Posting I am ready for hunting season is for other areas on the site.

If you have loads to share, that is definitely up this area alley.

Definitely interesting to get info on Powder and velocity and 1/2 inch is extremly good. On a good day I can shoot under that a bit but that is a HB Target gun setup.

3 or 5 shot groups? For hunting I always felt 3 was fine.

My take has been velocity is over rated. Accuracy is the right goal in my opinion - sometimes accuracy is the difference in good shot placement vs a bad one or a miss.

Ok, RC, I'll bite. Yes, a little critical; however, the 139 and 154 loads are with IMR4831 and the 165s are with H4895. Both are a couple grains off Max in Hornady 9. Shot a 9 point in the brisket a couple years ago with the 154 load and it exploded his heart and the bottom of his lungs, breaking his front leg on the way out.

I’ve got the 25-06 bug this year, again. I was going to hunt with it last year but didn’t get the chance. I was still recovering from lumbar spine surgery at that time.

I have some loads left to try, consisting of the Barnes 100gn TTSX bullet and H-4350, and Ramshot Magnum.

I’m sure there are a couple I was working up using the Hornady 110 gn bullet too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok, RC, I'll bite. Yes, a little critical; however, the 139 and 154 loads are with IMR4831 and the 165s are with H4895. Both are a couple grains off Max in Hornady 9. Shot a 9 point in the brisket a couple years ago with the 154 load and it exploded his heart and the bottom of his lungs, breaking his front leg on the way out.

Good to get load data on a reload section (grin). I never hunted deer (well successfully, did hunt them when I was a kid but never saw one when I was, sigh).

Mostly Caribou, one quartering shot took out the far shoulder. Salvaged most of it but it was a mess (7mm with 4198 I believe). Forget what bullet.

Interesting to consider going though and leaving enough damage and not that much exit damage.

Back