Hunting knife

cola8d8

Inactive
I need a new knife to carry deer hunting. What would some of you suggest? It will be for hunting only, no dual purpose... Im not a big knife guy (if I tried to sharpen a knife it would just be more dull) so I need something that is good to go out of the box.

Sounds like you need a spyderco

Go to www.spyderco.com and check out their line up. If your interested in a folder, put some serious thought into the chinook. They have a few fixed blades also, I've heard good things about all of them. The moran is really popular if I remember right.

They make some of the best production knives on the market, and they have a sharpening service ;) They're about the sharpest out of the box for any production knives, and they use high quality stuff to make their knives. They hold an edge really well.

If you pick one that you like on their site, go to an online retailer to buy it. They sell for a lot cheaper than MSRP. I would recommend www.discountknives.com

Buck knives are still the cheapest and handiest of knives for carcus processing. You remember the ones - the shiney black handles, the shiney chrome blade, the hard pleather sheath...? Still about $15 at Wal Mart for a 6-7" Buck, and stay sharp enough to process at least 3 carcuses before needing a sharpening.

I carry a Buck folder (not sure of the model) and a Spyderco Rookie while hunting. My "rule of thumb" is to have a folder with a fairly short blade. I want to be able to grip the knife securely, run my index finger along the back of the blade, and have the point about even with my finger tip. That way I can use my finger to probe the chest cavity and avoid cutting anything I don't want to cut. Works for me.

Which ever knife you choose get a Lansky sharpener to go with it. There are probably some similar tools that work as well but the concept of using a jig of some sort to hold the edge to the same uniform angle is great for us fumble fingered folks.

Rick

A little pricier than that, but tough as nails, would be a Dozier. Bob does some incredible stuff with D2. I cut up 11 rooms worth of wet carpet after a flood at the rec center and it just needed a touch-up. I was hooked after that.

Besides my custom Hearn Skinner, it's the only knife I carry when hunting.

I have never seen a knife as sharp as a gerber straight out of the box. The only premium knife i have compared though is benchmade.

My personal preference is for a fixed blade. If you just want something functional, you won't go wrong with a Buck, Schrade, or Gerber. But if you're willing to spend $60 to $75 you can get a new-in-box Marbles on Ebay (with the older 52-100 steel) that will look great, last longer, and work better than anything else in its price range. I pretty much agree with all of the advice above, but I've just got a great big soft spot in my heart for the Marbles.

Case XX skinner. A classic, cheap, and good deer knife. At Wal-Mart.

Personally for hunting I have a Gerber Hachet, Phrobis M-9 bayonet, 300+ custom skinner (eet's purty), Spyderco Native (excellent blade steel and design) and a Swiss army. Yeah, I likes knifes. All sharp enough to lift hair, even the hachet. :D

Lot of good knives mentioned, including some I have and like.

The best hunting knife for me, tho, is a Helle. The one here has 4-5 deer dressed since it had a mild touchup with a crockstick, and it will pop hair right off my forearm.

The blade is laminated steel, like Japanese swords. Very good work.

This the finest $20.00 skinning knife made and it's made in the USA. I have used them since they were $11.95. They are deadly sharp out of the box---------so sharp they will cut the scabbard when you pull them out. Keep oil on that carbon steel blade when not in use and marvel how well a $20.00 AMERICAN made knife does for you. I just can't say enough good about these knives. Please see attached file detailing the Old Timer Sharpfinger by Schrade.

Attachments

• select128.gif
    select128.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 202
Lots of good advice given above and you can tell they are given by experienced hunters.

My suggestions are:

I second the recommendation on the Lansky sharpening system.

Whatever knife you get keep the blade length to 3" - 4". This will be very helpful when working on the inside of the carcass. Longer blades are hard to maneuver inside with limited room and when working without being able to see what you are doing.

Think seriously about how you are going to carry the knife. If you intend to carry it on your belt, it might be safer to carry a folding lock blade. Think about it, you have a knife as sharp as you can get it and the only thing between your leg/groin/femoral artery, or gut is a little thin piece of leather! If you take a tumble, will the leather sheath protect you when you land on the knife's handle and are doubled up and tumbling down the creek bank? If you are going to carry the knife in a pack of some kind then a fixed blade would be fine.

My pick of the many hunting knives I own is one I've had for over 30 years, a Buck 118 Personal. I have cleaned many elk with it and can honestly say that I've cleaned as many as 3 elk between sharpenings although I do carry a Schrade Sharp Finger for the skinning task.

After losing a couple of expensive knifes at gut piles. (one becomes a little absent minded after the ordeal of cleaning and packing a moose.) I decided to settle for a Buck with bright orange handles and removable interchangable blades. I have two regular blades (saves on sharpening in the field) and also a gutting blade, ie one of the ones with a dull nub on the end to prevent catching the ponch.

It ain't pretty but it's very practical.

All decent advice.

I find that a knife prefernce is about as personal as are your boots. Your best friends (same make 'n model) may prefer something that you may abhor - such is life.

I've used Bucks (seems to be very hard steel - tough to sharpen but holds edge well) 'n Gerbers (excellent stuff) - cheapies & not-sos.

Currently, I use a Victorinox Swiis Army knife Hunter/Huntsman mosel - got a locking blade about 3.5" long, a gut zipper & a saw + a couple other do-dads. It's done plenty elk with no sweat.

I do also carry in myy pack, a Coleman skinning type fixed blade (about $15 US) that I found in the woods. Has a fairly thick blade in case I need to bang on something, a pretty good sweep to the blade for skinning, etc. & was free. Another one of those things that once seen used, The Wife & The Bud had to have one.

BTW, we all too carry that same-same SAK - lightweight & very functional.

Ditto a Lansky (or like wise jig) for sharpening after you've lost your touch, which seemed to be pretty much the same time as my excellent eyesight. (wah! ;) )

Must have 20-30 pretty good knives stashed around the place, but always carry at the least that Victorinox SAK - excellent quality & great steel.

While I do have the Gerber Gator, I just switched to a hardware utility knife that you break off the end of the knife as it gets dull. Light, compact, cheap, and allways sharp.

SUPRISED

I was suprised not to see more "votes" for Benchmade... I had a benchmade (lost it), dont remember the modle it hat the "angled point". It was a "tatical" style... I know this to be a fact which can not be argued because it was all black :)

Benchmade makes a few fixed blade knives, but they're better known for their quality production folders.

Many folks are going to prefer a fixed blade knife for dressing game. This preference stems from a number of reasons:

-- no chance of lock failure
-- easier clean up and maintenance
-- drop point blade shapes
-- tradition

About the best game folder IMO is the large Spyderco Wegner. I own one, but I still like a fixed blade for game.

Back