Hunting in the Smoke

hartcreek

The West is burning and hunting season starts next week. The Fire Precaution is 4 which means no fires other then pressurized fuels. And vehicles can only be used on roads or motorized trails. If it hits 5 then the woods will be closed.

I was sighting in my rifle Sunday and I sure was glad that I was not hunting as the smoke was so thick I can only do things at half speed. Any of you old timers have any suggestions about how we are going to be able to hunt other than about half time with the rest of the time spent trying to recover from all the smoke?

I have seven game cameras set out in the area I hunt. One camera I have set up behind the cabin and I have two years worth of photos and two other cameras a couple months. The game is staying put as there is no fire in the area just all the smoke. The deer and elk must be suffering just like I am. Seeing the game to shoot it aint the problem it is diminished physical stamina from breathing smoke for a couple months now.

Last edited:
Had the same situation a few decades ago when Winnemucca area burned. Pics at Noon looked like a great sunset.........end result we waited........If you can't see, don't shoot; if the smoke/flames/heat drive them, they will be running away anyway.

Good luck....hope you get some rain.

May sound really silly, but is there not a type of mask you could wear that would serve as an air filter or respirator type thing? Doesn't sound healthy to be breathing in wildfire smoke.

On the bright side, maybe the game will taste a little smoky. :)

Shooting through fog with a scope seems to amplify the obscuring effects. Smoke might do the same.
Be prepared for shooter shots.
Targets may be obscured beyond a safe level of identification. Greater odds of misidentify a buck for doe, hunting partners/hikers, etc.

Keep a close eye on the weather. Change in wind direction or intensity could close off your safe exits.

Back