Hunting caliber for Arizona

scorn

I want to buy a general purpose hunting rifle for Arizona. Game there includes coyote, javalina, antelope, couse deer, mule deer, other deer?, pig, and cow elk. (I am not going to try to find a caliber that works on all those and bull elk. If I get a coveted bull elk tag, I will buy a rifle just for that).

I was hoping that a .308 would work well for most of those game from antelope and deer, up to cow elk.

The largest animal I really expect to hunt with .308 is the mule deer. Will the .308 work well on antelope and deer, and drop the larger mule deer well?

I will specialize more later and buy other rifles but for now I want one that will cover most of those. I also have a .223 for the smallest game, like javelina and coyote etc.

Be a good thing to either take up reloading, or make friends with somebody who does. Factory ammo is sorta rough on javelina, allowing only a head shot.

165- or 180-grain on deer; 180- or 200-grain on elk. 110-grain for Ol' Wiley.

Art

Scorn. A 195 pound Mule deer, range 427 paces, rifle, Remington 660, caliber, .308 Win., bullet 150 gr. sierra. One shot, one deer.
If you compare the .308 with the 30-06, with equal barrel lengths, the .308 averages only about 100 FPS less than the 30-06. I dare anyone to say that a well placed shot wither either won't do in, even a big bull elk when using the proper bul;lets and reasonable ranges.
Paul B.

Back