Hunting Bullets?

cola8d8

Inactive
Hunting Bullet? 's

I will be hunting deer in south/west TX this year so chances of a "long" shot are quite possible. I will be loading the 300 ultra mag. What bullets would you use to start "testing" for accuracy? I want an accurate bullet that still is a "hunting" bullet... I know to use what shoots best in the gun... But I dont have the time or $$$ to go buy and load a bunch of different bullets. I would rather get it narrowed down to a few accurate hunting bullets then experiment with charge vs. accuracy.

The Nosler partition has great terminal performance, but has a bad rap from some shooters for not being all that accurate............I found them to shoot to 3/4" to 1" in my 7MM Rem. Mag. I guess each rifle and bullet combo is a law unto itself, but the Noslers would be my first choice. The Sierra Game King has also shot well for me in different calibers including 30 Caliber.

my 'go to' bullet when development time is short is either hornady interlock or sierra gamekings, in that order.

the hornady, especially if it is the flat base bullet, has proven to be quite accurate to me.

as of now, my loaded ammo for 7 rem mag, 308 win, 243 win, and 25-06 are all loaded w/ hornady interlocks.

my other 7 mag and other 25-06 are loaded w/ gamekings...

Are you now loading, and if so, what are you using?

There's not a deer in Texas that a 150-grain .30 bullet won't kill. If you're gonna drive it at ultramag velocities, though, I'd use a fairly heavy-jacketed bullet, which probably would mean 165- or 180-grain.

Generally, the load between "Starter" and "Max" in the handbook will prove to be the most accurate.

Roughly, where do you figure you'll be hunting?

Art

Art... I have not loaded anything yet. Waiting for the scope I ordered to come in (Zeiss conquest 6.5-20 X 50). Last season I borrowed a friends scope. I used factory ammo then.

Bucks in that country generally dress out between 100 to 150, with most around 120 or so and the occasional 175-pounder. A buddy of mine has a ranch on the Pecos, just north of Pandale. ("Welcome to Pandale. Population varies.")

Any load that pleases you for accuracy will do just fine. Ain't real critical.

:), Art

you might want to try the swift scirrocco(hope I spelled that right) in 165 grain. Should be a fairly easy load to work up. Very similar to the ballistic tip that nosler makes but with a thicker jacket for controlled expansion. the bullet is supposed to really shine at high velocities. I just ordered a 270wsm and will be trying the bullet out when I get it in. Another bullet you may wish to consider is the barnes xlc xbt in 168grain. The barnes is my all time favorite. Just start your seating depth at .030 off the lands instead of the .050 barnes reccomends. This is a tried and true tactic for the barnes. Have gotten sub moa accuracy from all my loads with relatively short work up times. Also havent ever noticed problems with high chamber pressure using the closer seating depth.

Sierra Game King

Sierra Game King...the Caprice Classic of bullets...good for all situations. From my model 70 .270 win I use 130 gr. at around 3000 fps. To date more deer than you can haul in a 1 ton ford, hogs a few, turkey's a few, 3 elk. It will kill and I have never had it come apart when hitting sholders, unlike ballistic tips...I made that mistake.

Dad prefers flat based hornady's out of his .257 Roberts. I have seen it kill too. Amazing results on Elk too.

Back