Hungarian Steyr W 95?

Rick61

Avoid like the plague or worth buying for $95? Can't seem to find much on line about them so I'm leaning towards not buying it...

Great little carbine. Kicks like a mule with Nazi war era ammo, which is corrosive. The first time I shot mine was right at dusk, and a flame as long as the rifle came out of the muzzle.

It is a very innovative (for it's time) straight pull bolt action. The trouble you will have is finding ammo. I got some boxer brass from Grafs last year, and I load cast bullets in them, hoping they will last a long time.

The trouble you will have is finding ammo.
What he said. The reason these rifles are so cheap right now is that milsurp ammo and reloadable brass are almost nonexistent, commercial ammo is nonexistent, and off-the-shelf premade 0.329"-caliber bullets are somewhere in between. :(

Lee makes a suitable bullet mold, but it's not a good caliber for you if you don't cast your own bullets and you're not willing to scrounge for brass.

I love mine great little rifle. I have not shot any surplus ammo yet but would like to. I have been rolling my own i use Graf brass but you can resize 7.62x54R brass. Lee makes dies for 25.00. Hornady makes 205gr .329 bullets but you can resize .338 bullets. I have been using 48gr of IMR 4350. Mine shoots 1 inch groups all day long at 50yd recoil is light with my hand loads.

What the heck - buy it just to have it.

I have the Austrian version and will be buying the Hungarian soon to keep it company. Every month or so the local Big 5 Sporting Goods sells them for $79.

Well I would buy it just to have it, but I haven't quite reached that point in gun collecting yet. I'm still in the "buy it & use the heck out of it" phase.

& I know what a slippery slope "just to have it" is...That's how I ended up with 36 motorcycles at one point...

Back