Hungarian Mosin Nagant M44

Giovanni

I recently acquired this carbine while on vacation. The rifle is in decent shape, nice patina and good wood. Never counter bored. All number matched except the bolt. The lands look very good the groves were packed with debris, etc. It had taken over 100 patches to remove all crud and copper from the barrel. The trigger pull is around 2# 3oz. The front sight was too short so I added (glued) an extention to bring the bullet impact down a bit.

The firearm is just not grouping well using chinese 7.62 X 54R ammo that I've had a number of years. I've shot 50 yards; 75, and 100 bagged up indoor range, bayonet extended.

I was try to figure out what I could do without spending too much money on this cheap firearm to improve the groups. I thought about having the barrel crowned. I found somebody locally and via email he would charge $55 to "cut the crown even". :confused:

What are your thoughs?

John

Mosins can be like small children, they can be very picky eaters.

I've seen nice Mosins miss plywood at 100 yards with the nice Prvi Partizan stuff.

Find out what your Mosin likes, if it's Hungarian try Hungarian surplus x54R. Some Mosins like Bulgarian, Yugoslavian, etc ammo.

Also, are you shooting with the bayonet on? I know this is an issue with 91/30s, some of them shoot really poorly with the bayonet off. This is because they are sighted in at the factory with the bayo on because the bayo changes barrel harmonics. Try shooting with the bayo on.

Reloading is not an option in my case because of living in a townhouse-no garage and my man-land constantly being invaded by the grandchild. I'll try out some ammo that I happen to have that is designed for hunting and see what happens. I've inverted a bullet in the muzzle and over 1/4 of it remains--about like most of the pictures I've seen.

What do you all specifically think about that $55 crowning job? Any benefit?

John

Before you clearly established that it's a bad crown and not something else I'd wait. Try a couple different manufacturers, if you're still seeing lousy groups you might start playing with modifying the gun itself.

I think I'd try some different ammo before I go the crowning route. May not be broke.

Winchester sells some 7.62X54 180 grn stuff with .311 bullets, try that.

As to you're not being able to get the sights lower enough with the existing front sights:

Mine shot about 8 inches high at 100 yards when set on the 100 yard (meter) marks. What I did was take out the front sight "ladder" and turn it over, grind or mill the bottom of the sight (the part that slides up and down the ladder). This allows you to come down without having to build up you front sight with "glue"

Don't take off too much. On the Mosin sights .0061 moves the impact one inch at 100 yards. I milled my down .0488 and its right on at 100, and 200 when the sight is set for 200 yards.

Thanks everybody for your excellent advice:)

I'll pick up some additional commercial ammo including Winchester and see what happens. I'll report back with the range results.

John

Shoot it with the bayonet extended.

Contrary to the implication of sefner's post, the bayonet is not generally removed.

As mentioned earlier, barrel harmonics. However you sight it in, I think I would do it without the blade period. If harmonics is the issue, I personally wouldn't want to have that thing extended or installed period. IF it were mine, I would have the bayo hanging on a wall in a display of sorts while the rifle was sighted in to function on its own.
Just my .02 in any case.

VA Gent, the bayo on an M44 is a folder - it's permanently attached to the rifle.

Giovanni, I would still slug the barrel and then take some calipers to the store when you buy your ammo. If you can't reload, that's the next best thing.

Back