Hungarian M44

Mikef262

So today I was having a conversation with some guys at work about guns. The topic of how one of the guy's sons wants an m44 for Christmas came up. I have one, and don't shoot it a lot. Don't have any special attachments to it either. So I figured it would be fine to sell to them to make his son happy. Looking more into it I discovered mine is from Hungary. So I looked up the value, and found out that Hungary only produced them for 2 years. Mine is not numbers matching. The stock, of which has the 02 marking as well, has a fair share of dings. Blueing is decent. The magazine has clearly had to have been redone, but the rest appears to be original. I have a sealed tin of 440 rounds and a cheap cleaning kit. He has a kel tec pf9, of which was the first gun I ever bought, that I would like to trade him straight across for. Now, I know I would lose a few bucks, but I am curious if these Hungarian M44's are worth any more than a regular Russian or Chinese? Typically the surplus guns I buy end up being the less desirable makers.. is this a different case?

As said above, I hope his son's shoulder is stout! It's a thumper for sure!

Gunbroker prices range from $250 to $400 for M44 from Hungary.

Non-matching would put it at the lower end of the price range, not uncommon.

Any time a bolt doesn't match, it's not original and headspace should be checked before firing (and it's always a good idea to check a milsurp even if the bolt matches).

I figured the non matching would ruin any value. I have had the head space checked out by my gun shop. I have fired my fair share through it. I kept it as a back up rifle for deer season. However I start the police academy in a few weeks, so I won't be hunting this year or next, and I would like to help his son get what he wants for Christmas.

The ammo does make up some for the non-matching bolt and since you have had it checked and is good to go, I would do the trade and help him out. Great way to start another future collector!

Doesn't look like the trade will be happening. The officer carries the kel tec as his backup, and doesn't want to get rid of it. A little dissapointing. While it is a kel tec, that was the first gun I ever bought. It got sold around the department and has landed a spot in his pocket until he retires. He has offered to sell me it when he retires though, so I will get it eventually. We are trying to work a deal where he gives me just enough money that I can buy a new one. Just need to contact my LGS and see how much they're wanting for one.

I've always found the Moison carbines to have a mild recoil IF they're placed properly on the shoulder. If not, the steel butt pad leaves little to the imagination.

Back