Hungarian m44 in m38 stock? Help plz!

Ulven

Inactive
Hello guys and girls,

I am new to the forum and hope you can help me with this.

Yesterday I bought a "arsenal-new" hungarian Mosin Nagant m44 system in a fairly worn m38 Stock.
How can that be? I thought the hungarians did not make the m38?
Is there a interest in collecting such a gun?
Btw. the gun was bought in Austria.

Hope you can help.
Yours, Ulven

Last edited:
many countries used the mosin nagant and many still adopted the carbine length versions. the only difference I'm aware of are slight variations that have nothing to do with fitting to the rifle. an M38 will fit in a M44 stock just like a M44 will fit in a M38 stock. it's a mix master rifle... oh well.

Definitely not original to it.

Some Soviet M38s utilized M44 stocks, particularly the '43-45 dated examples, for which a M44 stock would be correct due to the over-lap in production of both weapons.

Stocking a M44 in M38 wood is a new one on me...It's usually the other way around because of the in letting that is desirable to accommodate the folding bayonet.
Pat

not original, may reduce the value of it. if you dont like the stock maybe buy another some are easily available such as ati, boyds, archangel. (which may reduce or increase price depending on the work you put into it)

not original, may reduce the value of it. if you dont like the stock maybe buy another some are easily available such as ati, boyds, archangel. (which may reduce or increase price depending on the work you put into it)

um... sorry but that's only half true... spending money to modify a C&R only increases one thing... the money you have into it. you can slap $1,000 worth of stuff onto a $500 springfield and at the end of the day you will be lucky to get $500 back out of it. sporterizing the stock, no matter what you do hurts the value of the gun especially when you start slapping plastic on.
a $200 mosin nagant+$100 boyds stock=$150 mosin nagant.

Back