Humpback bodyguard 38's

Sudo

Does anyone besides me like the old Smith and Wesson bodyguards?

Mine is a model 49-0.

Let's see some pictures.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 49-0 smaller.jpg
    49-0 smaller.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 817
I like them better than the DAO hammerless models,,,

I like them better than the DAO hammerless models,,,
But that's because of their functionality,,,
Rather than their looks.

With the true DAO hammerless models,,,
You give up the ability to cock and make a single-action shot.

But, that doesn't mean I think they are pretty,,,
They are the Quasimodo of the S&W line.

Aarond

Yes.

Late last year I picked up an early 1980s vintage Model 38, virtually unused. The cylinder bolt is a bit undersized, so I need to replace that, but I love the thing.

Best part is that I paid a little over $300 for it.

My regular carry revolver is a Model 042 Centennial Airweight hammerless that I picked up in the late 1990s.

My 1973 Model 38:

attachment.php

One of my all time favorites. It stays in the safe: When I want to carry one, I have a late-model no-lock 438.

Personally, I think they're gorgeous, in a more-or-less perfect form-follows-function manner.

Yeah, odd-lookin' revolver. But I like the idea of shooting my Model 38 Airweight single action. Made in 1997 - bought it from a Texas cop who used it as a backup...

SWrevolver002.jpg

Perhaps the quintessential pocket gun...but Fugly in my view. And that doesn't degrade their usefulness one iota. Rod

Ive got a once nickel now matte blue 49 no dash. I put pachmayr compacs and a custom xs big dot front sight on it. Its the ultimate belt j frame. Although since buying a 642-1 thats a mere 15oz it hasnt seen as much action lately. File wont upload for some reason.

An M49 (The REAL Bodyguard ;) ) is my EDC. With classic wood stocks and a Tyler T-Grip, it's surprisingly comfortable--and FUN-- to shoot!:D
I used to also think the hump was ugly, but having the hammer available is a great feature; I can check the cylinder for rotation without having to pull the trigger just enough to unlock the cylinder. Doing this by drawing the hammer back slightly is obviously MUCH safer. Occasional SA plinking is entertaining as well. :cool:

I am a big fan of them, I have two 649's and a 638. They are my favorite j frames and rode many miles as my CCW for years. I believe they are the best of both worlds.

I have a Model 38, and I love it. They are known for cracking the frame under the barrel, though...I don't shoot mine much, because of that.

One of the few S&W revolvers that I actually like and have a particular interest in. I can't think of a better, snag free design that allows a single action shot while still being a great choice for DA.

If Smith made it in a 6 shot .327, I'd likely buy it over Ruger's LCR.

I can't think of a better, snag free design that allows a single action shot while still being a great choice for DA.
Which begs the question: Of what utility is the ability to shoot single-action in a gun specifically designed for close quarters self-defence?

Question answered: Because there might be an albeit unusual but very possible occasion to have to use a handgun meant for "close quarters self-defense" at a longer range than what it was "intended" for. Nobody can predict when or how such a circumstance might present itself but, if it should, a "humpback" Bodyguard offers a single-action trigger pull that other concealed hammer revolvers don't and with no downside. Well, except for the fact they look ugly. :)

Back