HS-6 for .32ACP?

slimshot

Is there a reason why I can't find any loading data that shows HS-6 for .32ACP? I have seen it used for so many calibers from 9mm up, but nothing smaller. Does anyone have any data? :confused:

I don't have any data, sorry. And I have no experience loading 32ACP.

I do however, have lots of experience (decades) with HS-6. And from what I know (which is by no means comprehensive in this case), HS-6 is not likely to be very suitable for 32ACP. Maybe with the heaviest bullet for the caliber (which I don't even know what that is), loaded up to max pressure, it might run consistently. Maybe.

HS-6 is a very lazy propellant. It doesn't like to ignite and many use a magnum primer with it. I do with revolver cartridges, and don't with semi-autos (has to do with the space inside the case). I digress. Its low energy characteristic would tend me to believe that it just won't behave consistently in such a small case.

I don't know what your loading experience is, but in general, if it is difficult to find load information for a given propellant-cartridge-bullet weight combination, that is often a clue that it is not a good combination.

I checked my real old loading book and it didnt even show HS-6 with 32acp.
I dont know for sure, but I would guess you cant get enough of it in that small case to cycle the action.

Yes, it’s simply too slow for the little case. When I loaded the .32ACP and a 71-grain bullet I used the much faster Bullseye. As above, I doubt there’s room for enough HS-6.

Appears too slow for the rate of expansion. QuickLOAD thinks it is a theoretical possibility, assuming perfect ignition, but that it will only burn about 2/3 of the powder in the barrel, meaning lots of fireball and likely very erratic performance in terms of velocity and cycling of a semi-auto, and then lots of unburned powder granules throughout the gun to clean afterward or when they jam the gun up, whichever comes first.

Back