HR 733

Oldman11

I have a 1981 hr 733 in .32 swl,my question can I ream it out to .32 hr mag? Would the 733 be stout enough to handle the .32 hr mag? I thank you for your opinion. I believe the cylinder will be long enough

I had a 732 (blued vs nickel). I would not try it. I think the frame could take it, but the cylinder would not handle the magnum pressures. Just not made for it.

If my memory is correct, it was the H&R revolvers chambered in .32 H&R Mag that were the reason manufactuers largely loaded .32 Magnum ammunition below maximum because the H&R guns couldn't take them.

Buffalo Bore says on their website that their .32 Magnum ammunition that they advertise as +P is safe to use in any .32 Magnum revolver, EXCEPT the H&R revolvers.

If even the 5 shot H&R R73 Buffalo Bore says .32 Mag isn't safe in, then the 6 shot 733 or 633 it would not be safe. Especially given the age of them and goodness knows what type of wear they've seen the past 30, 40, 50 years.

I believe H&R helped develop that caliber.

There's no use drilling holes in things. The guns in question are very inexpensive. Just a few years ago I got one for $120-something and one for $140-something. These were NEF (H&R's sister company) Model R73's in 32 H&R magnum. They were both in good shape and both still work fine.

If you want an old H&R (or NEF) revolver to shoot 32 H&R with safely, just keep your eye on Gunbroker and you can get one without having to pay much for it. It's better than finding out whether or not the 32S&W cylinders go "kaboom".

The reason I asked is that this 733 was made in 1981 I believe. I trust you all’s experience and will leave it along. I have three .32’s,one .32 hr and one 327. I will be on the look out for another .32 hr. One of my .32’s is the K.32 Smith Wesson.
:)

The 327 Mag is a whizz bang , high pressure round .... The 32 H&R is a great round .. and it was developed for that revolver of yours .. Or maybe your revolver was developed for the round ?

Back