Hr 1955

ronl

Don't know if it has been posted here or not but everyone better check out HR 1955. It is a bill concerning "homegrown terrorism". This piece of legislation is absolutely horrid. Sounds like the McCarthy thing all over again. Read the entire bill. It's scary.

*looks at the Indymedia link*

Dude, he said "reputable" sites, not sites who cherrypick the scary sounding parts of the bill and leave out finding #8 (look it up yourself) and the fact that there is no legal authority to punish included in this bill. Congress likes to study things. This bill is so they can study something. Therefore, I am not impressed.

The sieve that this bill should have to pass through is, "is it Constitutional". It clearly fails, therefore it's wrong.

I may believe in a more limited reading of Congress's power in the Constitution; you may believe in a more limited reading of Congress's power in the Constitution; but the jurisprudence built up around the subject is pretty clear: Congress can do as it darn well pleases as far as federalism is concerned.

And at any rate, the nature of federalism and the nature of "thought crime" are two entirely different issues. People are screaming that Congress is outlawing free thought (which they are not), not that Congress is for the buhmillionth time doing something the Constitution doesn't give them the power to do. And I'm pretty sure the commission at least is well within Congress's investigative powers even without a completely skewed view of the Constitution.

What is insidious about this proposed legislation is the ability to harrass, and the proclivity of government to take it much further than its original intended purpose. It's not the "homegrown terrorism" that bothers me but the "other purposes" which are clearly undefined in the bill. The potential for abuse under the auspices of this bill is staggering. How would you like to be called before a commission because you sent an e-mail ranting about the gov? Then, there is the stigma surrounding being called before such a body. This bill could potentially be used to stifle dissent. Notice too, the broad definition of terrorism. My question is why the Congress even deems it necesssary. No incidents of such since Oklahoma City. Just the fact that the thing was spawned by a Dem. from Cali. is enough to make me skeptical and more than a little leery.

Just the fact that the thing was spawned by a Dem. from Cali. is enough to make me skeptical and more than a little leery.
Perhaps it's her gift to Hillary.

Makes one think.

Back