HR 1658

alan

The above mentioned, dealing with "reform" of civil forfeiture, it needs reform badly, is scheduled for a vote this wed.

Text available under www.house.gov , and might be worth a look. Good thing to contact congressmen/women on too.

Alan

This is an extremely important Bill!!!

Especially in light that the Juvenile Crime Bill drastically expands Federal power for asset seizure.

1) Provides that assets forfeiture must go to Court within a reasonable
time
2) Places the onus on the Agency for burden of proof
3) Protects "innocent" parties with interest in the property from
seizure.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
H.R.1658

Civil Asset Forfeiture Reform Act (Introduced in the House)

----------

Table of Contents:

Beginning
May 4, 1999
SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
SEC. 2. CREATION OF GENERAL RULES RELATING TO CIVIL FORFEITURE PROCEEDINGS.
SEC. 3. CONFORMING AMENDMENTS TO TITLE 28, TO RULES OF PROCEDURE, AND TO THE CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT.
SEC. 4. COMPENSATION FOR DAMAGE TO SEIZED PROPERTY.
SEC. 5. PREJUDGMENT AND POSTJUDGMENT INTEREST.
SEC. 6. APPLICABILITY.[/quote]

This should be a bi-partisan issue....any Rep voting against this will be exposing their true colors as elitists and tyrants

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

[This message has been edited by DC (edited June 21, 1999).]

Well, I believe this passed, by a landslide.

So, what's next? Still being relatively new to the political/legislative arena, can somebody enlighten me and others like me as to what happens next with this bill? Does it have a companion bill in the Senate? If so, anybody know the bill number?

BAB:

Hr1658 passed. As to what happens now, it will go to the Senate, or a committee thereof. There might be a companion bill already in the Senate, I don't know. The House bill was put up by Henry Hyde. Suggest that youy contact your senators, with respect to obtaining their support of HR1658, which likely would have a senate number of it's own. Thyeir staff people should be abnle to fiund it, or you might be able to dig it up under WWW.senate.gov , other sites dealing with legislative matters. You might also check with your congressman or www.house.gov .

Best of luck, and dig, dig.

Alan

Back