HP SMGs

czc3513

I have heard of MP5s and thompsons converted to 10mm but I would like to see them converted to .44 magnum, .454 casull, or .500 S&W.
Anyone else like this idea?

I realize that these calibers are rimmed and that they would have to be loaded in a drum or disk magazine like the American 180 but I dont expect many of you from the full auto forums to complain about that.
IMHO the optimum submachine gun is a thompson in .44 magnum, .454 casull, or .500 S&W with a folding stock and high capacity drum or disk magazine.
Please tell me what you think. :o

May require a whole new receiver as those rounds are all quite a bit longer than the rounds you mention. So being in the USA, you can't make a new receiver for a Title II firearm unless it's for a governmental entity.
Also seeing as these are basically revolver rounds, they aren't tacticool. :eek:

I've seen videos of .458 SOCOM and .50 Beowolf uppers on M16s. The problem with those is they're limited on magazine capacity, because they both use converted STANAG magazines.

Lets assume that it is a thompson like SMG in .500 S&W and that it is for government use.
Lets also assume that it includes a high capacity drum or disk magazine.
What do you think of this idea?

"Anyone else like this idea"

Yeah- Jeff Cooper suggested it YEARS ago. He called it his "Thumper"

10mm Mp5 is pretty close!

Anthony

I'm not a firearms guru, but i would hazard a guess that when you get in the ranges of 44 magnum, you'd be better off with a rifle. More penetration, flatter shooting for long range, possibly more controleable (even using 308). THe smg would recoil a whole lot and b(44 mag recoils over twice that of a 10mm auto, and if we went more powerful, you would get in the recoil ranges of full powered rifles).

No practical purpose whatsoever. If you want a powerful submachine, i would suggest (as HK did), an MP5 in 10mm, or get a registered m16, slap a short barrel and a beta mag on it. :D (don't even know if you can do that). Or maybe an HK 51 :)

That said, a 44 mag mg would be fun. Mabe a good choice for a gatling gun. :D

I guess I am an anti .223 guy.
I dont really hate .223 but I like bigger holes.
Wouldnt .44 magnum have enough penetration?

CleverNickName,
I've got a .50 Beowulf upper for an AR. It is a fun gun to shoot. Bought it direct from the manufacturer several years ago at the Black Rifle Convention in Illinois. Had a good long talk with the owners and the design team (they sat at our table during dinner).
As for modifying mags, quite a few mags work without modification. Of those that need the modification, the only thing needed is a slight bending of the feed lips.

Back