HP Problems

Hays

I recently purchased one of the Israeli surplus FN HPs from AIM surplus. The gun is in great shape, and I'm extremely pleased with it. Due to my rather meaty hands, I’m pretty susceptible to hammer bite. A friend down the street had a spare C&S Commander hammer, and he helped me install it.

Since then, I have a random problem with the hammer staying cocked. The first time I noticed it, I had the slide locked back. When I pressed the slide release, the hammer came forward with the slide. I've observed that this happens about once every 15 to 20 times.

The other day, the same problem occurred while chambering a round. After firing a round, the slide came back, but instead of locking the hammer back, the hammer came forward with the slide. In this instance, it jammed up underneath the slide, causing the slide to be stuck. When I re-racked the slide, the hammer cocked properly and allowed the slide to travel forward. This happened about twice in 100 rounds.

I'm planning on taking this to my gunsmith, but was wondering what the problem might be. I'm guessing it has something to do with the hammer/sear relationship. Does it sound relatively easy for a competent smith to fix? If you have an idea concerning my problem, I would appreciate your response. Thanks.

If the hammer "follows", it could go full auto and empty the magazine if it didn't "Jam". Don't shoot it any more until you take it to the gun doctor. :)

PigPen

Back