How's S&W service ?

Bottom Gun

My pre-treason mod 629 broke and I'm afraid I have to take it to someone to get it fixed.
Has anyone had experience with S&W service lately? Do I dare send it to them for repair or would I be better off taking it to a gunsmith?

Unless you've had some amazing trigger work done, send it in. They will bring it back up to factory specs. I think that it's free too, but I might well be mistaken. Call them and ask, or check the owner's manual.

I haven't sent a gun in, but I called them a couple of weeks ago about a problem I was having adjusting sights to match my target loads. They sent me out special sights at no charge.

Joe

Ive sent 2 guns back this year for warranty service and they were both returned promptly,cor-
resctly repaired. I know of 2 pards who have sent back guns for refinish work this year and their pieces were finished great. Try 'em....dewey

Thanks for the info, Dewey. I'll give them a try.
I've sent guns to them in the past, but haven't had any experience with them since they sold us out and I wanted to make sure they were still doing quality repair there before I sent my treasure to them.

Thumbs up

I bought two S&W revolvers used. One had a broken rear sight. Both had excess gap and spit lead. Sent em back to S&W. They did all the fixes for free, including recutting the forcing cone. On one I had a factory trigger job done and it came out real sweet... better than a PC out of the box.

Competent, good phone support, prompt, fair prices.

Yo

Service

I had a weird problem with my 4563TSW, their phone service was nice but not useful. I sent it to them for service on a Friday. The next Friday, I got a letter saying that they had it and were going to work on it. That same day, the gun came back fixed. One week exactly. I was happy, wanted my duty gun back and got it.
Mike Irwin will tell you that I only got it back fast because they are selling so few guns that they have nothing to do....;).
He may be right.

A couple of weeks ago I broke the firing pin in my M642 (it started protruding about an eighth inch between loadings. I tipped the muzzle up to load (that allowed the cylinder to close) and kept shooting. It finished my ammunition like this--another 25 rds.

When I got home I took it apart enough to get at the firing pin. A call to S&W and another was in the mail to me at no cost. Not knowing what to expect I was very impressed with the service.

I got a hold of a 1979 manufactured Model 36 not too long ago for a good price. It was in perfect condition except for some very slight rust on the trigger guard and frame. Sent it to S&W for a frame re-blue and they did an excellent job. Turnaround time was three weeks. Art G.

Back