How's a Howa?

HarryB

Looking for a budget (okay cheap) decent bolt rifle in .308. Saw a Howa heavy barrel with a synthetic stock for $379. Felt good and the trigger was great. I did a Howa search on this board and found zip. Everyone seems to love the Remington 700 and think the Savage is great for the price but what about the Winchester 70?

The salesman said that Howa used to supply the lower end of the Weatherby line.

Any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.

BTW this rifle will mainly be used at the range but could go in the field as well...

Smith & Wesson imported the Howa in 1983 as the model 1500.
Mossberg imported the Howa in 1986 &'87 again labeled the model 1500.
Weatherbys current Vangaurd series is manufactured by Howa.
I have an S&W 1500 Deluxe in 7 mag. that I love. I had passed on the Remington 700 simply because I needed the Smith for my collection.
Jerry's Sports center was offering the Savage 110 "package" which included, 3X9 scope, sling and swivels for $308 dealer. For a budget gun these wouldbe hard to beat.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

HARRYB:

The Howa is the Weatherby Vanguard Rifle. As Gunslinger says, S&W, & Mossberg made them and they are fine rifles. I have a S&W .243, that I put on a T-Hole stock, and with special bedding and pressure points on the barrel, "The Cody System" the accuracy is 1/4MOA @ 100yds. Machine Benched, cold shot. In my opinion, for the money you can't beat them

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited July 13, 1999).]

I had a Weatherby Vanguard, Howa, in .300 Winchester Mag. It was a very accurate rifle. Would not hesitate to buy another Howa.

I have also heard that Howa used to make Brownings bolt rifles. In the owners manual that Howa supplies with their rifles, the picture of the gun is unmistakeably a Weatherby. I bought a Howa 30-06 last year and have a laminated stock, put a decent midprice variable scope on it, and it will shoot better than I can. Love it.
Bergie

Back