How'd I Do?

Bud Helms

Put $50 down on a Charter 2000 .44 Spl 5-shot Bulldog w/2" bbl today. Total price: $259. NIB. Any experience with this brand?

Here's a curious disclaimer at their website: CHARTER 2000, inc. is not related to any of the following: Charter Arms, Charco, Survival Arms, or Raptor Rifles. 'Looks like there was a parting of the ways ... ? Am I behind the times on this?

[Edited by sensop on 01-29-2001 at 08:28 PM]

Charter Arms was the original company and the one that developed the product line Charter 2000 now markets. They went bankrupt in the mid to late 1980's.

Charter re-organized as Charco and lasted another two or three years, then went belly up.

I am not familiar with either Survival Arms or Raptor Rifles, but I suspect that they are now defunct companies that at least attempted to market the AR-7 .22 LR riflewhich is now marketed as the Henry Amrs Survivalist.

I presume that Charter 2000's statement is an attempt to distance them selves from creditors of the named companies, and to avoid claims of Warranty Service.

I've had an original Charter Arms Bulldog .44 SPL for well over twenty years. To say it is a keeper is damning it with too slight praise. If Charter 2000's quality equals the standards of the earlier Charter Arms revolvers, they are well worth the price.

Doc Hudson

Thanks, Doc. Welcome to TFL.

I had never realized what the 5-shot design did to reducing the cylinder diameter. It has an affect on thickness that appears dramatic. This the stainless version with standard hammer spur. I am anxious to take possession.

The website contains some few "Charter Arms" logos, so after looking around the site I am sure you are correct about the company.

19 years and counting on my original. It is everything a little big bore snubbie should be. The wooden grips of yesteryear were the only thing less than perfect about the gun. Not a problem now.

Also, if you like your reloads on the stout side then the average crimp won't do. The combination of heavy bullet and light gun makes for a good inertia puller.

Tom

Well, I picked that puppy up today and went straight to the range. At seven paces all five holes were within a 2 in circle. That's all I wanted. It needs a LOT of breaking in though ... a little rough on double action. :D:D It's neat! I'm a new daddy! And, next to my Mak, it's the only "snubby" I own.

Sensop,

I've been considering snubnosed revolvers recently, as I will be getting my first carry gun. If you don't mind my asking, did you get the standard hammer or what they call the pocket hammer?

Back