Howard Leight Impact Pro

samfried

Inactive
Does anyone have one of these ? What do you think ? How well do they work, and are they uncomfortable ? They can be had for about $65 and have a nrr of 30. Is there anything better for a similar price ? Also should I double up for indoor shooting .40 cal ? (If yes are there any advantages to the pro over the lighter and cheaper impact sport) Does it cut in and out on a busy range ?

I have the HL Impact Sports. A lighter duty version of the Impact Pro. They are sufficient for outdoor ranges and work well for most handgun calibers. When they are not reacting to gun fire, the ambient sound comes through well. They are rated at NRR of 22, which is not all that high. The Impact Pro, at NRR 30 is probably a better choice.

I am seriously thinking about upgrading to the Impact Pro for the added NRR.

For indoor ranges, even with NRR 30, you should probably double up by using the foam inserts in addition to the muffs.

The advantage of the Impact Sport over the Impact Pro, is that you can use them for a rifle without too much interference to the cheek weld.

So, to answer your questions: Yes they work well, they are not uncomfortable, and there is probably not anything better in that price range.

I've had a pair for a few months and like them.i can here range commands and people talking.
Most of the people at my last class had them

The Howard Leights have had some pretty good reviews.

But so do another choice (and in the same pricing ballpark): The "Walker Game Ear Alpha 360."

I couldn't find my $$$ Pro Ears (packed away somewhere), so when I went down to TX this past July to visit friends, I couldn't go shooting without hearing protection. So I had to buy another pair.

I DID want the amplified versions (but did not want to pay another $$$ for a 2nd pair of Pro Ears), not so much for going out shooting (I do that very rarely) but more importantly to me, they're great @ night in your house -- not only (of course) to protect your hearing if you have to shoot indoors, but ALSO a big plus is being able to hear any intruder(s) way better than they can hear you. Unlike most electronic ear-muffs, the Walker 360s have 4 microphones: 2 pointing forward and 2 backwards -- hence the "360" name.

But again, I've read good things about the Howard Leights -- the Walkers have good reviews, too. And I like hearing "360" for a home-defense scenario.

I went with the Walkers...got mine @ Academy Sports (in El Paso, TX), but I think Walmart carries them also.

Now that I'm back in Colorado, they're near my bed @ night for ready access.

I suppose my $$$ Pro Ears are way better, but since I can't find them, that point is moot. The $$ Walker 360s will do fine...

Last edited:
I have two pairs of the regular Walker GameEars Alpha (just one mic on each side). For <$50, they have held quite well. When they go bad, I will get more of the same.

Back