Howa.

Scribe

Hi chaps,

I am looking for a .223/5.56mm bolt action, preferably with detachable magazines. Cost as ever is a factor and I was looking at getting a Remington 700 and modifying it with an after market magazine coversion kit.
Then I found a company over here who offer Howa rifles at, what seems on the face of it, a pretty good package. This is rifle, already fitted for detachable 10 shot mags, a Nikko scope and a Hogue overmoulded stock.
Quite simply I have no experience of Howa rifles. All and any advice about them would be most welcome.

Howa is the same rifle as the S&W 1500 and Weatherby Vanguard. They're accurate, have nice triggers, the Hogue Overmolded stock feels good, the action is buttery smooth, and they're very reasonably priced.

My only gripe with Howa bolt-actions is the cheap plastic trigger guard, magazine and follower. There are a few aftermarket accessories available for them.

I've no experience with the Nikko scopes, but haven't heard anything negative about them..

<edit to add>
Jet Guns usually has them for a good price.

IMO, they are excellent rifles, and I would not hesitate to suggest buying one.

Cheers, mate!

Last edited:
Howa does in fact make a detachable mag in .223 (and .308 as well as others). Only word I could offer is that Howas are kinda heavy compared to others, which can be a good/bad thing. (lugging it around v. dampening a bit of recoil... not that .223 is going to need that)

The Nikko scope... use it until you can afford to put better glass atop.

IMO, they are excellent rifles, and I would not hesitate to suggest buying one.

+1 on that. I have a Howa 1500 Varmint Supreme .308. With FGMM SMK's it will shoot 0.6-0.75" five shot groups at 100 yards.

Yes they offer a removable mag, but as stated plastic trigger guard but I have not had any issues with mine other than each mag is 40.00 and it will beat the alternative of those selling for 375.00 or more for there detachable mags kits and there mags cost more... but other than that the one I have also wears a bull barrel and I am very happy with it also my vanguard however they factory trigger isn't something to write home about it beats most others with the non-ajustable triggers. I did replace my factory triggers with tinney ones.

It appears that cheaperthandirt has the Legacy Sports 10rd mag conversion kits for $82.
I dunno if CTD will ship to U.K. with their strict shipping policies

I wanna get this except spare mags are $43!? Dang!

I highly recommmend the Howa 1500's.

Maybe I got lucky but my Varmint .308 is and consistent .66 @ 100 shooter with 5 shots.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339554843907.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339554843907.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 13
Back